𝟖. | '𝑇𝒉𝑒 𝑡𝑟𝑢𝑡𝒉'

A/n: this is so long but so intenseee

~×~

"I- it's... It's really y- you...?" she could barely speak, her voice shaking as her gaze remained fixed on him.

"Yeah" he had no idea how to act, he felt so weird.

Carina put down the baby she was holding in her arms, looked at Andrew for a few more seconds and threw herself into his arms bursting into tears.
Andrew squeezed her tightly, hugging her as she continued to sob. He looked around and saw Sullivan, who was still there after finishing the call, expecting to find Andrew waiting for him.

He almost seemed broken seeing that scene, but also a little happy.
That hug would last a long time, what they both felt at that moment was indescribable.

~×~

The next day Meredith woke up early. She actually hadn't been able to sleep a wink all night. She dressed herself, brushed her hair, and went downstairs to have breakfast.

She was also supposed to meet Nick today. By now she had lost all that happiness that she had accumulated to be able to hug him again and see him again. Now she was just so confused.

When she went downstairs she walked over to the table that had been assigned to her and sat down. She looked around a bit, the place was quite nice. She then stopped to gaze at the window, where she saw Nick standing outside waiting for her. He was already here.
Meredith walked over to the window to try to catch the man's attention, and when he saw her she waved him inside. Nick walked towards the hotel entrance and went to Meredith's table.

"Hi" he greeted her before sitting down.

"Hi" they faced each other as they sat across from each other.

"Do you want to order something?"

"No thanks, I've already had breakfast" there was certainly a strange tension between the two.

"Well, didn't you want to talk?" Meredith asked him breaking the weird silence as she drank her coffee.

Nick just sighed. He meant to tell her what was going on but he didn't even know where to start.

"What's her name?" Meredith asked him trying to get a damn explanation. Nick understood where she was going.

"Mer, listen to me. I love you. You've been one of the best thing of my life, and I'm so happy to have known you" those words managed to warm her heart, despite everything she felt in that moment. But on the other hand, he was still the man for whom Meredith still felt all that affection.

"And I don't want all this love to be destroyed, I care about it, I care about you"

"Please get to the point" she couldn't be patient any longer, as beautiful as these words were of her they set her up more for the worst.

He paused for a moment before starting again. "The accident has really happened, not with a co-worker tho..." she decided to force herself and say it all in one breath "Naomi" Meredith's attention increased.

"Naomi and Jessica, it was them.
Since a year we were dating, I had the last journey to an official resignation here in Minnesota. The next day I was due back, so in the evening I went out with a couple of friends and we went to a bar. Later they were gone, I was alone, and a woman sat next to me, Naomi. We had a good time, we talked and laughed together, we were both drunk, and well..." Nick could see Meredith's eyes fill with tears. She suspected it, but hearing it hurt more than she thought.