𝟐. | '𝐴𝑙𝑖𝑣𝑒'

When you become a doctor, you take a single oath: to save lives. Nothing and no one matters anymore, the surgeon takes his scalpel in his hand and everything around him vanishes. His job is to be able to save that life, to be able to return the patient safely to his family, but it's not always easy.
There is a rule that doctors cannot help the people they love. But why isn't there one that forbids helping people you hate?

~×~

He had no idea what he had just done, he had reacted without thinking. For years they treated him as if he wasn't a person. But he never gave up.
He took that knife and did what he had to.
Now he just had woken up in another place, different from where he was used to being. He had passed out, he didn't remember much of what had happened.
He realized that he was outside, not far away it was possible to hear the noise of cars passing fast on the road.
They thought he was dead and left him there as a carcass. Sure, they beat him pretty bad, he had many wounds, but he was alive. Andrew DeLuca is alive.

~×~

Hunt's surgery was over, some nurses monitoring the icu.
Meredith had finished her shifts today, and she couldn't wait to get home. Zola wouldn't be back anytime soon, but Maggie and Amelia would be keeping her company. Link would be staying home with Scout and Winston had to work night shifts, and they quickly jumped at the chance to see each other.

As soon as Meredith entered Amelia took the bottle of tequila and Maggie was holding a glass of juice. She smiled and came to sit with them.

"Welcome back" Amelia told her. She took the bottle and began to drink.

"Well some things don't change" Maggie said.

"Do you want to talk about it?" Amelia asked taking the bottle from his hand.

"No, I don't need it, I just need to drink and sleep, so give me!" she took the bottle back and sat down on the sofa.

"Surprise!" Nick entered the house. Meredith stood up abruptly.

"My God, I missed you so much!" she walked up to him with a huge smile and hugged him.

"What are you doing here, I thought you'd be back in a week"

"I badly needed to see you" he said giving her a kiss on her cheek.

"I disturb?" he asked as he noticed Maggie and Amelia were there.

"Ah shut up" Meredith pulled him by the arm to let him into the house and kissed him.

"I guess we're the trouble now..." Amelia confirmed.
"No, you can stay, he and I have all the time later" Meredith said smiling at him.

Eventually Meredith's plans changed completely, and the evening went well. It was just what she needed after this long day.
The next day she was hoping for a quieter day. Compared to yesterday the weather had improved, and Meredith was happy to have Nick back with her. Even if he was due to leave in two weeks...

The day after they went to work together, everyone welcomed Nick back, and Meredith settled into her office.

"Doctor Grey" Carina walked into her office.

"Carina, everything okay?" She walked over to her desk.

"We have to arrest that woman" she said looking into her eyes. True, they had to. But they could not make hasty decisions.

"You're right..." she reflected for a second. "But now she's our patient, and no matter who she is and what she's done, we have to take care of her" as awful as that is.

"We can't do nothing Meredith-"
"I haven't said this Carina. We'll call the police. They'll take care of it"

"The police?" Nick walked into the office and worried for a moment.
"Mer what's happening?" he asked her. She looked at Carina and then her gaze returned to him.

"Uhm-"

"Dr. Grey, we need you in the er" Bailey burst into the office, it seemed urgent. She waited no more to be able to leave.

There were people everywhere, desperately looking for their loved ones, crying. Traumas continued to arrive from the entrance.
Meredith could see Andy and Vic walking towards her.

"How bad is it?" she asked.

"A lot... Ben and Dean are still dealing with the fire, more injuries will arrive" Fuck the quiet day. This is the hell.

~×~

His right arm was wrapped around his waist and he could barely walk with a limp. He was completely disoriented, he had no idea where he was going, just trying to get closer to the road. As much as it hurt he didn't want to stop, he's been waiting for this moment ever since it all happened.
At one point it had become more difficult to breathe, the air had been filled with smoke. It was like standing next to a fire.
As he coughed he could hear a voice, he was sure he recognized it. It was someone who was looking for people. It was her.

"Over there!" she walked towards him having noticed his presence, accompanied by another.

"Hey, are you-" he turned to her.

"Maya..." she froze for a moment.

"You... you-" it couldn't be possible, but instead it was him.

"Andrew..."

A/N: Hii guys, I hope you're liking this❤️ I'll always try to update soon, sorry if I won't!
Bye, and happy holidays to you all!