It's Just Reality

Ship: Charlie x Nick, Tao x Elle, & Darcy x Tara
Type: Angst

What if everything was just a simulation, even loved ones?

Enjoy!
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
{Tao's POV}

It was finally over. We have finally defeated th final boss, the evil man who had trapped me and friends in this video game. No on knew how long we have been stuck in here; it could've been days, months, hell even years for all we know! I looked around and watched all my friends cheering. So much had happen, but we're finally gonna be able to escape. I remember how none of us knew this was just some simulation, until we met a new person. Nick Nelson. We never questioned how he knew, nor did we have time to think about it. All we wanted was to be able to escape and go back home.

It was weird. I remember when Nick had told us about this not being real, and how it affected Charlie and Darcy the most. Charlie I knew and understood why, but I couldn't quite understand why Darcy felt so disappointed. I remember how Tara and Elle watched as their friend once filled with so much life, had drained and left an empty shell. The life in her eyes slowly fading into despair.

It took them awhile to get back to their normal selves, but thanks to Tara and Nick, they were semi back. They still didn't like to think of the real world and mostly focus on the game. I looked over at Elle to find her smiling happily at me, to which I smiled back and offered my hand. I saw her cheeks grow a tint of red and intertwined her hand with mine. I pulled her gently close to me, out shoulder touching as she leaned against me. I rest my head on top of hers, watching the simulation slowly start to fade away.

I watch Darcy and Tara spin, giggling. Tara was clearly happy about leaving, while Darcy wore a sad smile.
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
{Tara's POV}

I grabbed both of Darcy's hands and started to spin, feeling her hold tight. I was finally going home with my friends and girlfriend! I'm finally gonna be able to bathe, not worry about beasts, and hangout with everyone here! It's gonna go back to the old days, where monsters weren't real. Didn't have to complete quests, but mostly finally be able to change into something more me.

I looked over to Darcy once I stopped spinning us. She was looking at me with a defeated look, but wore a small smile. I frowned. I knew what her home life was like, and I could see the pure fear in her eyes, knowing she would go back to the hell house she grew up in. I remember those nights she cried to me, vented about why she didn't wanna leave and I would comfort her the best I could. I took her out on late walks while everyone was asleep, stayed by her side when we had to fight. She was the sword to my shield, constantly having each other's backs.

I cupped her cheeks with my hands, watching a tear flow down her face. I rubbed the tear away with my thumb, which she responded by putting her hands on top of mine.

"I don't wanna go back.." she quietly whispered. Her eyes were glassy, as if she's trying to hold back her tears. I pulled her into a tight hug, with my arms wrapped around her neck. Dhe slithered her arms around my waist to get a better hold of me. She smelled like sweat with a mix of vanilla. I ran my hands through her hair, feeling her smile. We pulled away to look at one another.

"You're more than welcome to stay at my place, y'know?" This caught Darcy off guard, feeling her grip loosened.

"I-I can't! What about your folks, Tara? I-I can't do that to them, nor you."

"I insist. I'll even talk to my parents once we're officially back in the real world. Trust me, ok? They'll be fine with it." I spoke softly, looking into Darcy's eyes. She gave me a small smile, her eyes still wearing guilt, yet a grateful look. I pressed our foreheads together, closing my eyes.

"NICK!!" Me and Darcy both jumped back. We looked were the noise came from, and what we saw was heartbreaking.
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
{Charlie's POV}

"N-Nick?" He looked at me. Wearing a calm, yet sad look, he smiled as I could see the guilt in his eyes.

"I-I'm sorry.." He spoke, looking away from me. As the room had been slowly disappearing, Nick had started to disappear as well. My eyes went wide when I saw that my 'boyfriend', Nick Nelson, was not real. My eyes had started to tear up, causing my eyes to get fuzzy.

"W-Why didn't you tell me..?!" I felt my voice fading as the words left my mouth. I felt stoned, as if I suddenly saw Medusa. My body couldn't move, all I could do was watch in pure horror as I watched a guy I've developed a close relationship suddenly leave me. My heart was torn like paper.

"I-I didn't wanna worry you..I-I'm sorry. I really am, my flower."

"N-Nick.." I felt his hands cupped my face, but all I could watch is his lower half disappearing.

"Don't look down there, just look at me." I looked directly into his eyes. Oh those beautiful chocolate eyes, those beautiful eyes that I've always got lost in. They were so warm and inviting, made me miss my home; my parents and my sister. However, a part of me didn't wanna go back. At least, without Nick.

"I-I promised I would take you on a-a date...I-I-I" Suddenly, a pair of lips met mine. I kissed back, the kiss being passionate with a touch of sadness mixed in. We pulled away, I still felt a frown upon my face, while Nick wore a sad smile.

"Forgive me my love, my intended purpose was to help guid your group, not to fall in love or get attached. However, you. . .changed me. I never felt these emotions before, but I felt...hunan. I started to show happiness, sympathy, and so much more. Especially love. Love for you, Charlie Spring. The past few months I've spent with you and your group, was one of the best experiences I've ever had. It was so refreshing and I truly felt more than what I was programmed to be."

"Oh, N-Nick.." I sobbed out. He genlty used his thumb to clear the tear strolling down my face.

"I'll never forget the compassion and warmth you and your friends have shown. I love you with everything ounce of me, don't ever forget that."

"Nick..."

"I love you, my only and only true love." His eyes closed as I felt my cheeks that once was warm, turned cold and empty. I feel to my knees, clutching my heart.

"I love you...Nick Nelson.." I sobbed out. Hearing myself sniff and whimper, today was truly a day that would haunt me like a ghost for the rest of my life.