forget- bertholdt

preferable song played
La leçon particulière - christian gaubert
_________________________

"bertholdt we think it's better if you let it go by now" armin said softly to him, patting his shoulder slightly as the rest were in a circle on the floor near the bonfire, "forget? she told me she would- she, no." he said staring down at his hand, voice cracking, tears forming.

it's been 7 years since you completely disappeared, some may say you moved somewhere far, across the ocean, some may say you got murdered, perhaps suicide. leaving your friends behind with not one bit of information, and most importantly leaving your 'husband'.

"it's all my fault, i hate myself" he said grabbing his hair in frustration, reiner grabbed his arm, pulling away preventing him from hurting himself more. as everyone remained silent, the bon fire crackling.

today marked 7 years since you disappeared, every year your friends and bertholdt would gather around, camping at your favourite forest where you always used to camp, setting bon fires, eating, and talking. bertholdt never got at ease with your loss, even though he was always the one to indulge the camping, he was always hurt experiencing it.

"she told me she was tired, that she wanted peace, i thought i was doing the right thing" he cried out, the rest of the group started sniffling, letting silent tears run down their cold cheeks, armin couldn't help himself but cry out loud, falling back in the grass.

_______

"bertholdt" you laughed, running down the hill, flowers following your steps, the sun shining against your skin, bertholdt caught you, wrapping his large arms around your body, holding you against his chest softly as both of your bodies breathed together.

"i love you bertholdt don't ever forget that" you said placing your hand against his heart, feeling it beat.
_______

his heart ached, skipping beats from time to time, he was embarrassed for setting this atmosphere, yet he couldn't help himself. "bertholdt we all miss y/n a lot, she always meant something in our lives" said jean, his hands coming off his ears, as his tears dried into his skin.

everyone moved on, got married, had kids, created businesses, bertholdt was the only one holding back, still working at the library across from the coffee shop you worked in, he couldn't move on, he didn't think it was right.

"i remember in college, when i used to always forget to get a pen, or paper, or my homework, even though we barely knew each other back then, she'd always be the one to offer things" said connie, his eyes not leaving the bon fire.

"and when she used to always buy me snacks before she came school" sasha added, burning the marshmallow so badly to the point it was ash.

"how she'd always help me talk to a girl i used to like, set me on dates" jean said letting out a chuckle before his eyes teared up again.

mikasa opened her mouth, wanting to say something but deciding not to, cuddling up to eren as he watched the stars.

______
"sasha catch" you said the second you walked up to your friend group, throwing a bag of crisps at her, making her face light up instantly.
______

"you guys should go sleep, it's late now" said bertholdt, laying down in the sleeping bag, everyone soon agreed to go sleep, leaving the bon fire on near them.

after a few hours bertholdt seemed to be bothered by something, twisting and turning in his sleep not finding a comfortable spot, he got up carefully, not wanting to wake the rest up, walking down the small hill towards the river.

he sat near it, admiring the water flowing down the hill to a waterfall, and the full moon glowing against the water, stars shining more than usual.

he threw a few rocks in the river out of boredom, his legs were brought to his chest, trying not to think about you but not being able to resist it.

he noticed the river glowing strangely, whenever a rock would be thrown in it would create a spark, as if the river got infused by the sky and the stars, he thought he was going crazy, dreaming maybe, rubbing his eyes harshly to make sure he's seeing things right.

he got up, removing his shoes and socks, walking into the river, sparks following his footsteps, glowing bright and dark blue with each step he took, he was amazed, jumping through the water, creating small splashes.

"bertholdt" he heard his name being called, by a voice he thought he'd never hear, he stopped suddenly, turning to the direction he heard the voice coming from, but soon to realise there was no one there, maybe it was his imagination, maybe he missed you so much to the point he was hallucinating about you.

he was tired, his mood was ruined and his memories were brought back, he sighed, his posture changing. he walked out the river, grabbing his socks and shoes, stopping to look up at the sky as he spotted a falling star, wishing you were okay, somewhere.

"why" he asked, "why her" he said questioning the universe, "i love her so much" he said dropping everything he was holding, his eyes watering faster, "i miss her, don't you understand" he said, louder than before, "i miss her so much, in my arms" he cried falling to his knees, "we were meant to get married, have children, she was my person" he screamed slamming his fist in the ground out of frustrations.

he would kill to see you again.

"please give her back to me" he begged, his forehead leaning against the ground, "she was my person" he cried out loud before crying his way to sleep, near the peaceful river, and the moon looking over him.

"bertholdt, wake up" said annie, shaking his body to the point he wakes up gasping for a large breath, his hand reaching his head rubbing it, "come on, everyone's packing their stuff to leave now" she said getting back up making her way towards the camp, he shortly followed after her, packing his stuff before all of them got in their cars, driving separate directions.

till this day no one's heard from you, police weren't bothered to continue investigating what happened to you, you're family never heard from you, your friends wonder where you could be, and bertholdt will forever keep loving you the way he used to when you were present in his life.

____________
short one this time sorry lads.
whatever happened to you in the story you decide, i couldn't think of what exactly .

finished rewatching aot so upset rn.