Unburned Bridges

After going on numerous dates and spending a significant amount of time together, Alex and Megan's feelings for each other had intensified to the point where they could no longer ignore them. One evening, as they were sitting on the couch after dinner, Alex turned to Megan and took her hand.

"Megan, I know we've been taking things slow, but I can't deny how I feel about you anymore," he said, looking deep into her eyes.

Megan's heart raced as she looked back at him. She knew what he was about to say and she was feeling the same way.

"I feel the same way, Alex," she replied, squeezing his hand. "I've been trying to fight it, but I can't ignore my feelings anymore."

Without another word, they leaned in and shared a passionate kiss. It was a moment they had both been waiting for, and it felt like everything was finally falling into place.

Over the next few weeks, Alex and Megan became inseparable. They spent every moment they could together, going on romantic walks, enjoying candlelit dinners, and exploring the city.

As Alex and Megan walked home together after another wonderful date, they laughed and joked about all the ups and downs that led them to this moment. It was a cool evening, but they were warm in each other's company.

"Do you remember the time we first met at that party?" Megan asked.

"Of course I do," Alex replied. "You were being anti-social and I couldn't understand why someone who didn't like to socialize was even at a frat party to begin with."

"And then you gave me your number, but I thought you were just being polite," Megan said with a smile.

"Well, I'm glad I was," Alex said, taking Megan's hand in his. "Otherwise, we wouldn't be here now."

Megan leaned her head on Alex's shoulder as they continued walking. "I never thought I'd fall in love again after Michael," she admitted.

Alex squeezed her hand. "I know it's been hard for you, but I'm here for you now. I always will be."

They arrived at Megan's apartment building and stood outside for a moment, enjoying each other's company. Finally, Alex leaned in and kissed her gently. Megan responded eagerly, feeling a warmth spreading through her body.

As they broke the kiss, Alex looked deep into Megan's eyes. "I love you, Megan," he said.

Megan felt tears prickling at the corners of her eyes. "I love you too, Alex," she said, and they hugged each other tightly.

They said goodnight and Alex headed home, feeling happier than he had in years. Megan went up to her apartment, feeling a sense of contentment she hadn't felt in a long time. She knew that they still had a lot of obstacles to overcome, but for the first time in a long time, she felt like she had someone to face them with.

Several weeks had passed since Megan and Alex had started dating, and they were walking hand in hand on a quiet street on a warm summer night. They were in the middle of sharing stories about their days at work when Megan's phone rang. She saw that it was Michael calling and hesitated for a moment before answering.

"Hey, Michael," Megan said as she answered the phone.

Alex looked at her with an unfamiliar and confused face, she furrowed her eyebrows to show her confusion as well.

"Hey, Meg, how are you?" Michael asked.

"I'm doing well, thanks for asking. How about you?" Megan replied.

"I'm good too, thanks. I just wanted to check in on you and see how you're doing," Michael said.

Megan was surprised at how easy it was to talk to Michael now that they had moved on from their relationship. She felt genuinely happy for him and wanted to know how he was doing as well.

"I'm actually doing really well. I've been keeping busy with work and spending time with friends," Megan said. She wasn't ready to tell him about her and Alex's relationship. Not in a bad way, but because she felt what she and Alex had was private. It was for them. There was no need for flashy theatrics, they were just happy together.

"That's great to hear, Meg. I'm glad you're doing well," Michael replied.

They continued to talk for a few more minutes as her and Alex continued to walk, catching up on each other's lives. Michael asked about Megan's job, and she told him about a recent project she had been working on. Megan asked Michael about his new apartment and how he was adjusting to living on his own. They both laughed and reminisced about some of the good times they had shared together.

As they were saying their goodbyes, Michael surprised Megan by saying, "I'm happy for you, Meg. I really am."

Megan was touched by Michael's words and realized that she too was happy for him. They hung up the phone, and Megan turned to Alex with a smile.

"That was nice of him to call and check up on me," Megan said.

"I'm glad you two could have a friendly conversation," Alex replied.

Megan and Alex continued their walk, hand in hand, enjoying the summer night. They talked about their plans for the weekend and made each other laugh with their playful banter. Megan felt grateful to have found someone like Alex, who brought so much joy into her life.

As they approached Megan's apartment, Alex stopped her and took both her hands in his. He looked into her eyes and said, "Megan, I just want you to know how much you mean to me."

Megan felt her heart swell with emotion as she looked back at Alex. She knew what he was going to say next, and she was ready for it.

"I love you, Megan," Alex said, his voice barely above a whisper.

Megan felt tears welling up in her eyes as she replied, "I love you too, Alex."

They embraced each other tightly, savoring the moment. Megan felt like everything had fallen into place, and she was exactly where she was meant to be. She knew that she had taken a risk in leaving Michael and starting a relationship with Alex, but she also knew that it had been worth it.

As they approached Megan's apartment hand in hand, she felt a sense of peace wash over her. She was grateful for the support and love of the people in her life, and she knew that she had found someone who would be by her side through thick and thin. For Megan, this was just the beginning of a new chapter in her life, one that was filled with hope, love, and happiness.