The End of A Chapter

As the weeks past, Megan and Michael drifted further and further apart. Megan couldn't help but feel like it was her fault. It was. She knew that her lingering feelings for Alex were ultimately the fuel to the fire of Her and Micheal's relationship and she had no  idea how to extinguish it.

Soon Megan and Michael had began living in separate apartments for a few weeks now. At first, they thought it would be a temporary break, but as time went on, they started to realize that maybe they were better off apart.

Megan had been spending most of her free time at work, throwing herself into her job to keep her mind off of her failed marriage. She had even started taking on more projects and staying late at the office, trying to prove to herself and everyone else that she was capable of handling anything that came her way.

Michael, on the other hand, had been going out more, trying to fill the void left by Megan with late nights out with friends and casual dates. He knew deep down that he still loved Megan, but he couldn't help feeling angry and hurt by what had happened between them.

One day, Megan was walking to her office when she saw Alex walking towards her. It had been months since they last spoke, and Megan felt a pit in her stomach as she saw him approach.

"Hey, Megan," Alex said, smiling at her. "How have you been?"

"I've been okay," Megan replied, trying to keep her voice steady.

"I heard about you and Michael," Alex said, his expression turning serious. "I'm sorry it didn't work out."

Megan knew that there were rumors, but she didn't know that they had gotten around to other circles. Since Alex and Michael worked int he same industry, news was bound to jump from company to company. Megan felt a lump form in her throat. She didn't want to talk about her failed relationship with Michael with Alex, but she also couldn't help feeling a twinge of nostalgia for the time they spent together.

"Thanks," she said finally. "I heard about your divorce."

Alex nodded. "Yeah, it was for the best. We were both unhappy for a while, and it was time to move on."

There was a moment of silence between them before Megan spoke up. "Alex, can I ask you something?"

Alex looked at her, his heart racing. "Sure."

"Did you ever regret breaking up with me?" She asked, her voice low.

Megan felt a jolt of surprise at the question she asked. She had thought about it many times, but she had never thought to ask Alex outright. The sleepless nights must have softened her filter and the words flew out of her mouth before she could even catch them.

"I don't know," he said honestly. "I mean, I think about our relationship and wonder what would have happened if we stayed together. But I also know that we were both in different places at the time, and things might not have worked out anyway."

Megan nodded slowly. "I understand. I've thought about it too, but I know that we both needed to go our separate ways to grow and find what we really wanted in life."

There was a long moment of silence before Alex spoke again. "I hope you find what you're looking for, Megan."

Megan felt a pang of sadness as she watched Alex walk away. She couldn't help feeling a sense of longing for the past, even though she knew that it was over and that she needed to move on.

As Megan continued to work through her emotions, she realized that she needed to figure out what she really wanted in life. She knew that she needed to take some time for herself, to focus on her own goals and dreams, and to figure out what she wanted in a partner.

Michael, too, was grappling with his own emotions. He couldn't help feeling angry and hurt by what had happened between him and Megan, but he also knew that he still loved her. He needed to figure out whether he was willing to forgive her and work through their problems or whether it was time for them to go their separate ways for good.

After much contemplation, Michael made the difficult decision to file for divorce from Megan. It was a tough choice, but he knew it was the right one. They both agreed to a civil divorce and parted ways amicably.

Megan was devastated at first, but she knew it was for the best. She began to focus on rebuilding her life and finding happiness once again. She threw herself into her work, taking on new projects and challenges to keep herself busy.

One day, while Megan was working at the office, she received an unexpected call from Alex. She hadn't heard from him since they last spoke, but he had been on her mind lately. Alex told Megan that he had moved back to the city and was wondering if they could catch up over dinner.

Megan was hesitant at first, but she eventually agreed to meet up with Alex. They met at a cozy restaurant in the heart of the city, and as soon as they sat down, Megan knew that this wasn't just a friendly catch-up.