Feeling Uneasy

Later that night, as she and Michael were walking back to their hotel room, she couldn't resist asking him about it.

"Michael, can I ask you something?" she said, her voice low.

"Of course, Megan. What's on your mind?" he replied.

Megan took a deep breath. "Did you know that Alex and I used to date?"

Michael looked surprised. "No, I didn't. When were you two together?"

Megan hesitated. She didn't know if she wanted to go into all the details, but she felt like she owed Michael the truth.

"We were together in college," she said. "It was a long time ago."

Michael nodded, his expression unreadable. "I see. And he apologized to you tonight, didn't he?"

Megan nodded. "Yes. I don't know why, but he did."

Michael stopped walking and turned to face her. "Megan, I want you to know something. I trust you completely. I don't care about your past, or who you used to be with. All that matters to me is who you are now, and who we are together."

Megan felt a wave of relief wash over her. She had been so worried that Michael would be upset or jealous, but his words were reassuring.

"I love you, Michael," she said, taking his hand. "I don't want anything to come between us."

Michael smiled at her. "I love you too, Megan. And nothing will ever come between us, I promise."

Over the next few weeks, Megan tried to put the encounter with Alex out of her mind. She was busy with work, planning her wedding, and spending time with Michael. She didn't have time to dwell on the past, or to wonder what Alex's apology meant. She felt guilty she was even still thinking about him.

Megan is pulled from her thoughts when Michael sets down a cup of coffee in front of her.  "Here you go, I have to get to the office early, we have that big charity gala tomorrow night remember?" Michael mentioned while gathering some things for his brief case.

She immediately reached for the sugar, it was something he always forgot. Espresso, oat milk, and one sugar.

Michael stopped to look at her. "Hello?" he soothed standing in front of her. It wasn't uncommon for Megan to get lost in her own thoughts.

"Oh yes, yes! I'm sorry, just in my head a bit." She rambled. "I have my dress fitting at 9, I should probably head out soon."

"Well, I can't wait to see you all dolled up, I'll call you during my lunch?" Michael looked over raising an eyebrow.

"And I'll answer," Megan said lovingly, slowly thinking about the fact that Alex might be at said charity gala. Especially with him working at the company.

The gala was being held on a yacht, and it promised to be a lavish affair.

Megan was excited for the gala, but also a little nervous. She knew that Alex would be there, and she didn't know how to handle seeing him again. She didn't want to upset Michael or make things awkward.

Later that night, as they boarded the yacht on the night of the gala, Megan felt her heart pounding in her chest. She wore a stunning blue gown that Michael had picked out for her, and she felt beautiful and confident. But she couldn't shake the feeling of dread in the pit of her stomach.

As they made their way to the main deck, Megan saw Alex standing by the bar, sipping a drink. He looked up as she approached, and their eyes met for a moment before he looked away.

Michael greeted Alex cordially, and the three of them exchanged a few pleasantries. But Megan could tell that there was tension between Michael and Alex.

As the night went on, Megan found herself avoiding Alex as much as possible. She mingled with other guests, danced with Michael, and tried to enjoy the gala. But every time she saw Alex, she felt a pang of discomfort.

It wasn't until later in the night that she found herself alone with him. She had gone out onto the deck to get some fresh air, and she saw him standing at the railing, staring out at the water.

Megan hesitated for a moment, but then she decided to approach him. She didn't want to be rude or unfriendly, and maybe it would be better to clear the air.

"Alex?"