Confrontation

As they drove home from the gala, Michael couldn't shake the feeling that something was off. He had noticed Megan's conversation with Alex on the balcony, and it bothered him. He tried to put it out of his mind, but the unease continued to grow.

"Megan," he said finally, breaking the silence. "Can we talk about what happened on the balcony?"

Megan's heart sank. She had hoped they could avoid this conversation altogether. But she knew it was important to address Michael's concerns.

"Of course," she replied, her voice soft.

"I saw you talking to Alex," Michael said, his eyes fixed on the road ahead. "What did you talk about?"

Megan hesitated for a moment, gathering her thoughts. "We just caught up on old times, reminisced about the past," she said carefully.

Michael's grip on the steering wheel tightened. "And?"

"And that's it, Michael," Megan said firmly. "I have no interest in rekindling anything with Alex. You're the one I love, the one I'm committed to."

Michael nodded, but his unease didn't dissipate. "I just don't want to lose you, Megan," he said quietly.

"You won't," Megan reassured him. "I'm not going anywhere."

The rest of the ride home was silent, each lost in their own thoughts. When they finally arrived at their apartment, Michael pulled Megan into a tight embrace as they stepped out of the car. 

"I love you," he said, his voice choked with emotion.

"I love you too," Megan replied, relieved that the tension between them had been temporarily lifted.

But as they got ready for bed, there was an unspoken tension between Megan and Michael. Both knew that the conversation they had in the car ride home had left an impact on their relationship.

Megan slipped into her pajamas and climbed into bed beside Michael, who was already lying down. They both stared at the ceiling, lost in their own thoughts.

Finally, Megan spoke up. "Michael, I want you to know that I understand why you might be feeling insecure about my past with Alex. But I need you to trust me when I say that there is nothing between us anymore."

Michael turned to look at Megan, his eyes searching hers for any signs of deception. "I know, Megan. And I do trust you. It's just hard for me to shake the feeling that I'm not good enough for you."

Megan reached over and took Michael's hand. "You are more than good enough for me, Michael. You are everything I want in a partner."

Michael sighed and squeezed Megan's hand. "I just want to be the best partner I can be for you, Megan. I want to make you happy."

"You already do," Megan replied, smiling softly. "You make me happier than I ever thought possible."

They lay in silence for a few moments, the tension between them finally easing. Megan turned onto her side and snuggled up against Michael, who wrapped his arm around her.

"I'm sorry for being so insecure," Michael said, his voice low. "I just want us to be happy together."

"We will be," Megan said firmly. "As long as we're committed to each other, we can overcome anything."

Michael kissed the top of Megan's head and pulled her in closer. For the first time since the gala, he felt a sense of peace and contentment. He knew that their relationship wasn't perfect, but he was willing to work through the challenges as long as they were together. 

But for Megan, it was different. She felt guilty that she had even entertained the thought of Alex. Even if it was just mentally and in her mind. If she was completely honest, she yearned for Alex. She wanted that spontaneity that they had together, but it was too late now. 

They were both happily married now and that wouldn't change.