When the Past Comes Knocking

"It's good to see you too, Alex," Megan said, trying to keep her voice steady.

Alex smiled at her. "You look beautiful," he said. "Even more beautiful than I remember."

Megan felt her cheeks flush. She couldn't believe that Alex was still able to make her feel like this, after all this time. She looked away from him, trying to compose herself.

"How have you been?" Alex asked, his eyes searching hers.

"I've been good," Megan said, trying to sound casual. "I work in PR now and umm I'm engaged now, actually."

Megan couldn't read the small change in his face, it was almost sadness she saw. Alex mumbled a congratulations before asking "Who?"

"Michael Levy, he...umm," Megan began stumbling over her words.

Alex's expression changed slightly, as if he had been hit with a sudden realization. "Michael... Michael runs this company?"

Megan nodded. "Yes, he does. That's why we're here tonight."

Alex looked surprised. "I had no idea. I work for this company too, you know."

Megan's eyes widened. "You do? I had no idea."

Alex nodded. "I've been working here for a little over a year now. Michael hired me himself, actually."

Megan felt a wave of confusion wash over her. She couldn't believe that Michael had hired her ex-boyfriend to work for his company. She wondered if Michael had known about their history, and if he had hired Alex as some sort of power move.

"I had no idea you were working here," Megan said, trying to keep her voice even.

Alex smiled at her. "It's a big company. We must have just missed each other."

Megan nodded, feeling uneasy. She didn't know what to say to Alex now. She didn't want to dredge up old feelings or create any awkwardness between them. She wished she had never run into him at this party.

But then, something strange happened. Alex's expression changed again, and this time, it looked like he was in shock.

"Megan, I don't know how to say this," he said, his voice low. "But... I'm sorry."

Megan looked at him, confused. "Sorry? Sorry for what?"

Alex shook his head, looking pained. "For everything. For the way things ended between us. For... for everything I put you through. I've thought about you a lot over the past few years, and I just... I'm sorry."

Megan felt her heart racing. She couldn't believe that Alex was apologizing to her now, after all this time. She had never expected to hear those words from him.

"It's okay, Alex," she said softly. "I've moved on. I'm happy now."

Alex looked at her, his eyes intense. "I can see that. You're engaged to a wealthy CEO, and you look... you look amazing. I'm happy for you, Megan. I really am. I just... I had to say something. I had to tell you that I'm sorry."

Megan didn't know what to say. She felt a mixture of emotions: confusion, anger, sadness, and... something else. She couldn't deny that a part of her was still drawn to Alex, even after all this time.

But then, Michael appeared next to her, his arm around her waist. "Hey, Megan," he said, smiling at her. "Everything okay?"

Megan looked up at Michael, feeling grateful for his presence. "Yes, everything's fine," she said, smiling back at him.

Michael turned to Alex, his expression neutral. "Hey there. I don't think we've met. I'm Michael, CEO of this company."

Alex nodded, his eyes flickering with recognition. "Yes, I know. I work here too, I am assuming you don't remember me. Big company, I understand."

Michael raised an eyebrow. "Really? What's your last name, I always remember a full name."

Megan watched nervously as Michael and Alex exchanged pleasantries. She couldn't help but wonder what was going through Michael's mind right now. Did he know about her history with Alex? Was he angry or jealous?

But to her surprise, Michael didn't seem to react at all. He was perfectly cordial with Alex, asking him about his role at the company and his experience in the industry. Megan listened as they talked, feeling relieved that there wasn't any tension between them.

As the party continued, Megan found herself drawn into conversations with other guests, trying to put the awkward encounter with Alex behind her. But every time she caught a glimpse of him across the room, she felt a jolt of anxiety in her stomach. She didn't know what to make of his sudden apology, or what it meant for their relationship now.