Trip Down Memory Lane

He turned to look at her, and Megan saw a flicker of surprise in his eyes. "Megan. Hi."

They stood there for a moment, neither of them sure what to say. Megan fidgeted with the hem of her dress, feeling self-conscious.

Finally, Alex spoke up. "Megan, I know I was out of line before. I shouldn't have brought up the past like that."

Megan nodded. "It's okay, Alex. I appreciate the apology."

Alex looked down at his feet for a moment, and then he looked up at Megan again. "I just wanted you to know that I'm happy for you. You deserve all the success and happiness in the world, Megan."

Megan felt a lump form in her throat. She hadn't expected Alex to say something like that. "Thank you, Alex. That means a lot to me."

They stood there for a few more moments, the only sound the soft lapping of the waves against the hull of the yacht. Megan felt a strange sense of closure, like something had been resolved between them.

It was in the moment that Megan began to forgive Alex for what had happened. To be truthful, he broke her heart. Megan had never been the type of girl to date around. In fact, before Alex, she had only had one boyfriend; and the term was used loosely. She was in high school, everyone knows how that works. Alex was her first real boyfriend. He was the first man to choose her, put her first, tell her he loved her.

But one day, that wasn't enough. He mumbled something about "the chemistry not being there anymore" or that "he wasn't in love with her anymore," as he sat in her room that brisk March evening.

Megan was crushed, but she wasn't surprised. They had begun to fall out of love. Arguments brewed over who would come see who, schedules got busy; they began seeing each other less and less. But more so, he negated to put in effort, while she was all in. 

Megan took the break up personally. "Was I not worth fighting for?" She constantly thought. "I'm sure if I was prettier, he would have put in the effort to make it work" or "it must have been something I had done," that plagued her thoughts.

After years of building her confidence, she finally put herself back out there. She was a successful business woman, worked out everyday, and had developed a respectable image of herself. That's when she met Michael. The thought of Michael snapped Megan out of her thoughts. 

"I should get back," she mumbled lowly. Alex just nodded.

As they parted ways, Megan felt a sense of relief wash over her. She didn't know what the future held, or what would happen between her and Alex, but for now, she felt like they had both moved on.

The rest of the night passed in a blur of music, dancing, and laughter. Megan felt like she was in a dream, surrounded by luxury and love. Michael was by her side all night, holding her hand and whispering sweet nothings in her ear.

As the gala came to a close, Megan found herself standing at the railing of the yacht once again, staring out at the dark water. Michael came up behind her, wrapping his arms around her waist.

"You okay, my love?" he said softly.

Megan leaned back against him, feeling his warmth and strength. "I'm more than okay, Michael. I'm happy. And I'm so grateful for you."

Michael kissed the top of her head. "I'm grateful for you too, Megan. You're the best thing that's ever happened to me."

They stood there for a few more moments, basking in the glow of their love. Megan knew that there would always be challenges and obstacles in life, but as long as they had each other, they could face anything.

As the yacht sailed back to shore, Megan felt a sense of peace settle over her. She didn't know what the future held, but she knew that she was exactly where she was meant to be. With Michael by her side, she could conquer anything. And as she looked out at the glittering city skyline, she knew that the future was full of endless possibilities, but what about the one's of her past?