Just a Coffee

Several weeks had passed since the gala, and Megan was walking into work one morning when she heard someone call her name. She turned around to see Alex walking towards her, a half hearted smile expression on his face.

"Hey Alex, what a coincidence, how are you doing?" Megan said, attempting to not show her nerves through her words. 

"All is well can't complain," he said in a similar fashion, an expression on his face that Megan couldn't read. 

That was rare. Megan was always able to read Alex like the back of her hand. That's what had made them work so well together.

"I'm actually headed for a coffee, want to join," he asked hesitantly. 

Megan couldn't help, but agree. She clearly will always have a soft spot for Alex, why not play into it. It's no harm. As they sat over coffee, it was clear they were both dancing around the confession that he made on the balcony. Almost like children trying to get food from the kitchen when their parents are asleep. 

For a moment, Alex's face turns more serious. 

"Megan, can I talk honestly for a moment?" Alex asked, his eyes searching hers.

Megan hesitated for a moment, but then nodded her head. "Sure, what's up?"

Alex took a deep breath before speaking. "Megan, I need to tell you something. So, after the gala, my wife and I realized that we had grown apart. We decided to get a divorce."

Megan's heart dropped at the news. She knew how much Alex had loved his wife and was devastated to hear that their relationship had come to an end.

"I'm so sorry, Alex," Megan said softly. "That must be really tough for you."

"It is," Alex replied, running his hand through his hair. "But it's also made me realize something. When I saw you at the gala, I couldn't believe how happy and successful you were. It made me realize that I never stopped caring for you, Megan."

Megan's heart skipped a beat at Alex's words. She had never expected to hear him say something like that.

"I appreciate your honesty, Alex," Megan said, trying to keep her voice steady. "But I'm engaged to Michael now. I love him, and I don't want to jeopardize our relationship." Both her and Alex could hear the uncertainty in her words. 

She knew how she felt about Alex. He knew how she felt about him, but they were older now. She couldn't just severe her marriage. More importantly, the life she had built with Michael.

"I understand that, Megan," Alex replied, nodding his head. "I don't want to interfere in your relationship with Michael. I just wanted to let you know how I feel."

Megan looked at Alex, seeing the sadness in his eyes, and felt a pang of sympathy for him. "I'm sorry that things didn't work out with your wife, Alex. If you ever need to talk, I'm here for you."

"Thank you, Megan," Alex said, a small smile on his face. "I appreciate that."

With that, Alex turned and walked away, leaving Megan standing on the sidewalk, lost in her thoughts. She couldn't believe that Alex had told her that he still cared for her. It was a reminder of the past that she had worked so hard to move on from. 

Megan's mind was still reeling from her conversation with Alex as she made her way home from work. She couldn't shake the feeling that she had somehow opened a door that should have remained closed. When she walked into the apartment, Michael was sitting on the couch, scrolling through his phone.

"Hey, babe," Michael said, looking up at her with a smile.

Megan forced a smile in return but didn't say anything. She felt distant and disconnected from Michael, even though she knew that he had done nothing wrong. She just couldn't shake the thoughts and emotions that were swirling around inside of her.

"Is everything okay?" Michael asked, sensing the tension in the air.

Megan shrugged her shoulders. "I don't know. I just had a weird day at work."

"Want to talk about it?" Michael asked, putting his phone down and giving her his full attention.

Megan hesitated for a moment before blurting out, "I ran into Alex today. He told me that he and his wife got a divorce."

Michael's eyebrows raised in surprise. "Wow, I'm sorry to hear that. How did he seem?"

"He seemed pretty down," Megan said, still feeling the weight of the conversation on her shoulders. "But that's not the only reason I'm upset. When we were talking, he told me that he still cares for me, Michael. He said that he never stopped caring for me."

Michael's expression shifted to one of concern. "What did you say to him?"

"I told him that I was engaged to you and that I didn't want to jeopardize our relationship," Megan said, feeling guilty for even having the conversation in the first place. "But the truth is, Michael, I don't know what I'm feeling right now. I love you, I really do, but seeing Alex again brought up a lot of old feelings."

Michael took her hand in his, squeezing it gently. "I understand, Megan. It's okay to have those feelings. But you have to remember that we're in this together. Whatever you're feeling, I'm here for you."

Megan felt a sense of relief wash over her at Michael's words. She knew that she could always count on him to be there for her, no matter what.

"I know, Michael," she said, leaning in for a hug. "I'm sorry for acting distant. I just needed some time to process everything."

"It's okay, Megs," Michael said, holding her close. "We'll get through this together."

But Megan wasn't so sure.