Chapter 9

The longest time I have ever gone without talking to Mason was four days and three nights. We had just gotten into our first fight as a couple and I cannot for the life of me remember what it was about. However, it seemed like such a big deal at the time. That's the way life goes sometimes. You never remember any of the bad memories because then you wouldn't have any room left for the good ones. And I remember the good ones vividly. They've managed to burn a hole in my brain that I cannot fill with anything else. That part of my head is forever reserved for Mason.

                It has now been four years since I've spoken to Mason. I am moving home for a few months, before I go to medical school, to catch up with family and friends. But truthfully, the only person I want to talk to, is Mason. That is if he will listen to what I have to say.

                It's a cold Monday morning in May, Aly and I are just finishing packing up the last four years of our lives. We lived in a tiny apartment together during university and this will be the last time we will ever live together. Aly was just recently engaged to a boy named Andrew. It feels like everything in her life is falling into place and I'm still stuck in the same spot I was in four years ago. Well, I guess I'm not completely stuck. I do have a degree.

                "I think I'll just throw myself into med school. I'll say a quick hello every once in a while, but besides that, I'll just focus on me." I say putting another box into the hallway and motioning the movers to put it into the truck.

                "Funny, I think I recall you saying the exact same thing four years ago. It's like déjà vu". Says Aly as she comes out of her bedroom carrying another large box full of clothes.

                "Well why do I need a boy? Everyone seems to think I need a boy to be happy. I'm perfectly satisfied being alone, and focusing on my career." I say not taking my eyes off the four big pots I've been trying to shove into a box for the past five minutes. The box is clearly way too small, but I'm just trying to sidestep this conversation.

                "Anna you are not okay, and you don't just need any dumb boy, you need Mason. Has he replied to any of your letters?" She asks. I can see the pain on her face. She's so sympathetic that it almost makes me want to cry. But I swallow the lump in my throat, and turn my attention back to the pots and pans.

                "I doubt he's even read them." I say.

                Even though I had no faith in Mason reading any of my letters, I still felt obligated to send them in hopes that he would respond. I never got a reply though. I'm not surprised.

                "Then make him read the letters" Ally says stepping out into the hallway trying to find the lazy movers. This job is taking a lot longer than I thought it would. It's so hard to find good help these days.

                "How am I supposed to do that?" I yell out the door down the hallway.

                "You're Anna Waters, you could sell ice to eskimos." Aly responded running out of the building. I watched her through our apartment window. She's giving shit to the workers for sitting around on their phones instead of loading the truck.

                I'm going to miss that.

                I opened the window and yelled, "You guys had better hurry up and finish, our plane leaves in 3 hours!"

                I grabbed a suitcase and fit everything I needed to live off of for a few days before my things would arrive in my home town. I made sure to pack my favorite black dress and red pumps though. Just in case.

                Mason hasn't seen me in four years. I might need to make a good first impression.