X. Temporary Goodbyes

The next day, Naelys woke up on her bed, dressed in the same clothes as the day before. She could not remember much other than her resting against Nissera and speaking to Daemon for a little bit.

Her body felt sore but could not match how her heart felt, still grieving the loss of a sweet mother figure. Yet, as if that loss and the memory of the burning bodies were not enough, life had more in store for her.

Like the growing rumour that the night prior,  Prince Daemon visited one of the whole houses he had bought with the City Watch. There, he gave a speech and referred to him as 'Heir for a day'.

She knew that Daemon's character was not perfect and like many, he had his flaws. Yet his choice of words and how he chose to spend his grief did affect her, mostly because she could already see how others also felt about it.

With a desperate need to clear her head after days, Naelys had escaped from the Red Keep despite the protests of the guards and rode her brown mare straight towards the Dragon Pits. She was locked inside for days, surrounded by grieving people, reminders of the deceased Queen and looks of pity.

She grew tired of hearing people offering their condolences, of people telling her how great the queen was and how she will be remembered. She was getting annoyed with how isolated the king became and how helpless Rhaenyra felt.

It all started to choke her and she needed an escape. In her mind, there was truly only one that could help and that was riding on top of her loyal friend.

She barely registered when she arrived at the Dragon Pits but the bond between her and the she-dragon was strong. Her dragon already waiting for her outside, having sensed the inner need of her rider.

The dragon keepers tried to warn Naelys for approaching the dragon so freely but she paid them no mind as Nissera extended her wing and helped her climb on top of her plane scaled back.

It wasn't long before the two of them rode between the clouds and above the plains and the sea, the strong wind hitting her exposed arms but she paid no mind. Her hair got tangled as her dragon rode fast, leaving the world that tried to bind them in chains, behind.

The sun had started to set and she took a moment to appreciate its beauty of it. The sky changed colour, now painted in the colours of orange and red like the core of the flames with the power to give life and take it. There were parts across the sky, where the first signs of the night could be seen, like a blanket slowly being spread across the realm.

There was no other sound except the faint wind and the sound of the sea beneath her. She closed her eyes and took a moment to breathe in the air of freedom, letting her mind enjoy the peace she had missed in all those days.

Nissera flew calmly in a straight line, gliding along with the winds and seemed to also enjoy this small moment.

However, it was all soon interrupted by the familiar roar of a bloody wyvern. Opening her eyes, Naelys looked around her as Caraxes made his way towards them, Daemon on his back.

Not in the mood to see him, after remembering what he had said, Naelys ordered her dragon to fly away. However, they were persistent and the male dragon kept trying to catch up with them, making clicking noises to draw the attention of the ancient being.

Naelys tried to dodge them, using the bigger and stronger wings of her companion to gain advantage and height. Yer, Daemon persisted and despite the distance, she could see that he wanted them to talk.

Realizing it was a lost battle, she let a heavy sigh and guided her friend towards the land. Caraxes followed and it was not long before the two dragons landed, facing one another.