|𝟎𝟎𝟑|

"𝔹𝕝𝕦𝕖 𝕨𝕒𝕤 𝕙𝕖𝕣 𝕗𝕒𝕧𝕠𝕦𝕣𝕚𝕥𝕖 𝕔𝕠𝕝𝕠𝕦𝕣

"𝔹𝕝𝕦𝕖 𝕨𝕒𝕤 𝕙𝕖𝕣 𝕗𝕒𝕧𝕠𝕦𝕣𝕚𝕥𝕖 𝕔𝕠𝕝𝕠𝕦𝕣."

•❅──────✧❅✦❅✧──────❅•

Three years later (time skip brought to you by Griddy's Doughnuts, begrudgingly selling doughnuts and making bad excuses for over fifty years)-

If you'd have told Eight Hargreeves three years ago that she'd be spending her sixteenth birthday with the boy she'd deemed her worst enemy while looking through rusty food racks of a dilapidated Fanny's Food Emporium, she'd have laughed and told you to stop messing around.

Yet here she was, and the hazel-eyed girl was not in the mood for laughing.
In fact, she'd been mentally cursing at Fanny for making a supermarket 'larger than the fucking moon', as Eight had kindly described it, for the past half-hour.
It was moments like these that made being sober a pain in the ass.

In those thirty minutes, Five had snuck off somewhere and left her digging through the assortment of canned foods by herself.

This just added to Eight's aversion towards the boy, but after being stuck with him for three years she had learned to get over her pettiness and make the most of his company. This mainly came in the form of her teaching him better dad jokes and helping with the equations that he'd created to get them back home.

Just as Eight pulled the last can of food from the rack and placed it into the pile of edible food she'd created to take back to her and Five's camp, she was pulled off her feet as a pair of brawny arms spun her around.

"Happy birthday to us, happy birthday to us," Five sang as the girl in his arms squirmed, "happy birthday dear Five and Eight, happy birthday to us!"

He put the girl down and quickly spun her around to show her something on the middle rack that he'd brought over.

"I made this, especially for us," he said proudly as he rested his hands on her shoulders, "Do you like it?"

"Oh Five, um..it's great," Eight stammered as she looked down at the small tower of Twinkies Five had constructed. The wax from the long swirly blue candle that had been skewered down the middle to hold everything together dripped sloppily down the side.

Blue was her favourite colour.

"Go on then, make your wish," he nudged her on.

The girl squeezed her eyes shut and wished for something she'd been wanting for the past three years: for her and Five to get back home.

Once she was done Eight made room for the teenage boy next to her. He took his turn to make a wish and together they blew out the miniature fire.

"Now for the taste test!" Five announced as he pulled out the candle and handed Eight one of the Twinkies.

They each took a big bite of the small deserts and immediately gagged.

"Oh, shit," the boy heaved as he spat out the bread, "shit that's terrible!"

"Water!" Eight gagged, "we need water!"

And so they launched themselves at the shelves and rabidly dug around for the much-needed liquid.

Twenty minutes later they found a whole case of dusty old water bottles, and, with great eagerness, essentially drowned themselves.

"I'm never having sugar again" Eight groaned.

The two were leaning on one of the shelves and Five had taken out Vanya's book and was scribbling some math equations in it.

"Nope, you forgot to carry the two" Eight reminded him as she leaned over and looked at his work.

Five had been using the book as a sort of notepad for his equations. Equations to get them home.

The boy looked over the numbers one more time and then handed them to the girl next to him to revise them.

The night was starting to fall and it was starting to get cold. Luckily the teen's makeshift shelter wasn't that far away and they had found a few packs of lighters to start a fire to help them against the cold of the night.

"Everything looks about right" Eight mumbled as she got up off the floor and dusted herself off.

She gave the book back to Five and walked over to their wagon with what remained of the water bottles.

"C'mon, let's get back to the tower" She dropped the water into the wagon and started the brisk walk back, pulling the wagon.

"Why?" Five griped, catching up to the brunette and grabbing her wrist to stop her march back, "Can't we stay out a little bit longer?"

"Five, you know we can't, it's getting dark soon and if we don't get back now we'll get caught in the wind storms," she reminded him carefully.

"I know, it's just I thought that maybe," he sighed disappointedly as the girls sent him a pointed look, "Fine." And so the two made their way back to their shelter.

After that, it was just comfortable silence. Five and Eight had grown closer over the three years they'd been in the apocalypse together.

They were sixteen now, they'd grown up. They'd had to if they wanted to survive. There was no more Mom to make them cookies, no more Pogo to help them out of sticky situations, no more Dad to pick on them and order them about, and no more siblings to grow up with.
They were alone.

In the time it took Five to realize this he'd also realized that he didn't mind being alone with Eight, he really didn't mind at all.

•❅──────✧❅✦❅✧──────❅•

THE PANDORA POST:

Bit of an insight into their apocalyptic life.

Questions, comments and suggestions are welcomed!

Vote and enjoy:)