Chapter 114

Classes had been in session for weeks, and Amilia kept pouring over the lesson plans that both Carrows had sent her. For Dark Arts, they were learning Dark Charms first. This was not unlike the previous professors. However, they pair it with protection spells and reversal spells. This was a flat-out assault on the students and their peers, as Amycus had told her about the survival of the fittest when he handed her the plans.

"Survival of the fittest." Amilia muttered. "Absolute rubbish; they should learn how to protect themselves to fit that statement."

She sighed and shoved the scroll away from her. "What can I do that does not tip them off that I am helping the students? Or piss off my husband."

Amilia glanced over at the photo frame on her desk; Severus stared back at her, his face contorted into an unapproving sneer. "That is enough of that." She reached out and flipped the frame down onto the desk. She did not need his photo looking at her as he did when they were in private.

She rubbed her face; their relationship had grown tense. They were constantly fighting and making snips at each other. That morning, he commented on keeping her classroom door open when she did not have classes; he wanted to make sure no students were using her room to hide from their punishments.

Amilia rubbed her face, she just wanted things to be normal, but she couldn't help but cry every time she walked into their bedroom. The stress from the new school year, the students being tortured, Jordan being gone, and her husband being completely power controlled was getting too much to handle. Typically Amilia would be making plans to see her friends, but she had no contact with any of them, and the ones she had at Hogwarts no longer spoke to her. She was isolated.

"Is isolation really that bad?"

Amilia jumped and slammed her hands on her desk, making them sting. "Shouldn't you be in a meeting?"

Severus shoved his hands in his pockets, "We got done early."

Amilia pressed her lips together and nodded.

"Let's have a private dinner tonight."

"What?"

Severus took a step into her office; he glanced at the downturned photo and brought his eyes back to her, "We have not had much time to ourselves lately. What do you say?"

Before Amilia could answer, Minerva cleared her throat, "I have lesson plans and two students who need tutoring."

Severus stepped to the side and eyed the elderly witch. They never spoke to each other unless it was about work, much like Amilia and Minerva. Severus would play like it did not bother him, but Amilia knew otherwise. She could see it in the slight twitch of his eyebrows each time he saw the woman.

Amilia reached out for the scrolls, "Thank you."

Minerva lifted them from Amilia's reach, "I would like to have a word with you if you do not mind." She turned her hardened eyes to Severus, "Privatly."

Severus scoffed, tossed his head, and walked out of the room, leaving the two women alone.

Amilia sighed, "What can I help you with?"

Minerva tossed the scrolls on the desk. "You can leave."

Amilia tilted her head, confused, "What?"

"You do not have to follow through with what he is doing."

"Who?" Amilia asked, still confused.

"Your husband." Minerva whispered. "He was lying to Dumbledore, to the Order, to all of us! He sent your daughter away!"