Chapter 22

Amilia kept herself busy despite not feeling as well as she usually would with Christmas right around the corner. She often felt this sick feeling in her belly daily as she worried about when Severus would be called to Voldemort and what would happen when he was confronted about her. Severus had told her to stop worrying, that she would make herself sick and miss days of work, which would then lead to Umbridge pestering her and saying that if she cannot handle the stress of end-of-the-semester testing, she should not be a teacher.

Amilia knew he was right; however, it did not help, so she kept herself busy trying to help Hagrid. He had taken the students into the forest to observe and learn about the Thestrals. Amilia and Minerva had discussed it at length after it occurred; it was probably not the best idea, given that Hagrid was on Umbridge's radar. What did he think he was doing? Has his time away from the castle driven him mad?

Amilia felt horrible for thinking those things, but she often saw him go into the forest and come back injured, which on its own was not strange since Hagrid would go into the forest, but the constant injuries were worrisome.

She sighed, sat down, and watched as more snow fell gently fell outside her windows.

"Professor?"

Amilia turned her head slightly, acknowledging them; the door closed as they stepped closer.

"I was hoping that you could help me with Defense Against the Dark Arts."

Amilia stood and stretched, "I am not sure how much help I can be Neville."

The boy's shoulders slumped briefly, "I just need some help memorizing some of the information, you know, since we don't actually practice the spells."

Amilia rolled her eyes, "I still do not agree with that."

"Neither do the students, and Harry, he is so smart!"

Amilia tilted her head. "Is that so?"

Neville blushed, "Yes, I hear him talk a lot in the common room."

"Ah, I see." Amilia took the notes from the boy and motioned for him to sit down. After collecting the book, Amilia sat with him, and they began to go over the information together.

Severus sat in his office; more scrolls and vials sat before him than ever before, anticipating how the finals would be graded. He scratched his head as he took a break. Usually, Amilia would offer to help him, but they agreed to appear as if there was a distance between them, and his office door was still open to the students who dared to enter, asking him for help or extra work to raise their grades.

He also had to go through the list of students leaving and ensure parents were aware that their children were going home. Severus, too, longed to go home; however, his house was still infested with a rather giant and annoying rat, so that was out of the question. Is Amilia going to go to the cottage? Maybe I could stay there with her; however, she will need to come to the castle during the day to be with the students. Unless. He searched through the papers on his desk for the list, all of our House goes home.

At dinner, Amilia pushed the carrots around on her plate. Usually, she liked them, but they just seemed off now. However, when she saw Severus and Poppy watching her, she shoveled a few in her mouth and forced herself to chew.

"Are you doing well?" Poppy asked.

"Yes," Amilia forced a laugh, "I am just getting full and was debating on if I wanted to finish my plate."