Chapter 90

Severus sat at his desk, and Amilia lounged with Jordan on her chest. They blew bubbles at each other, and occasionally Jordan would coo at her. He watched them, a small smile playing with the corner of his lips when his door was thrown open.

Immediately, he stood, his wand ready, and Amilia had curled up on the sofa around their daughter.

"McGonagall needs you in her office. Right now." Filch gasped for air, his face red as a tomato.

Severus snarled, "A knock would have sufficed."

"It is important!"

"Leave." Severus said as he walked around the desk. Filch left the room and closed the door behind him. "Are you alright?"

Amilia exhaled slowly and released her tight grip on their now bawling child, "I will be. Go on. Tell me about it later."

Severus sighed and smoothed Jordan's hair before giving Amilia a small kiss on the cheek. He threw on his robes and made sure to bring his wand.

"Why is it when something happen it is always you three?"

Severus paused outside the door, waiting to hear the response. "Believe me professor, I've been asking the same thing for years."

Severus smirked and tried to hide the chuckle at the witty response from Weasley as he stepped into the doorway.

"Severus, thank you for coming." Minerva looked frazzled, and she ushered him in quickly. On her desk was a pillow with an ornate necklace adorned with opals; next to it looked some plain brown paper that had been torn open. "What do you think?" Minerva asked as she hurriedly informed him of what had happened.

The necklace floated in the air, his wand directing the necklace to twist and turn as he examined it. He shared a concerned and frightened look with Minerva, "I think that Miss Bell is lucky to be alive."

"This is that necklace is it not?"

"Yes, the very same to claim the lives of nineteen Muggles."

"It was Malfoy."

Severus's back stiffened as he lowered the necklace onto the pillow, "Where is your proof?"

"Yes, I agree. That is a very serious accusation Potter." Minerva spat out.

"It's just a feeling."

"Well it is a feeling that is wrong seeing as Mister Malfoy was not in Hogsmead today." Minerva's tone was turning harsh and shrill. "He had detention with me!"

Severus eyed her curiously and then looked back at Harry, scowling, clearly confused and confident that he was correct in his accusation. "Minerva, if you no longer need me, I think my services will best be used by Madam Pomfrey at this time."

Minerva waved him off, "Yes, go."

As much as Severus wanted to hear his friend tear into Potter, he knew that Bell would undoubtedly die in the future if he did not stop the spread of the curse.

Amilia was folding clothes when Severus came in that night; she looked up and waited patiently as he removed his shoes and sat down beside her. "I am going to be summoned tonight."

"What? Why?" Amilia set down the item she had folded.

"Draco."

"What about him?" Amilia looked at the entrance used for the common room.

"He failed."

"Failed?" Amilia stood up, wringing her hands.

"Yes."

"Dear gods..." She paced.

"I want you to be prepared..."

"Prepared for what?" Amilia looked at her husband.

He glanced at the floor before turning his head to the bedroom door. Amilia shook her head and placed her hands on her hips, "No. I can't."

"Darling." Severus rose from the sofa.

"Severus, I can't." Amilia walked away and into the bedroom, closing the door behind her.

Severus sat on the sofa, ignoring the searing pain in his arm. He knew he had to go and go soon, but he could not get up. A silvery peacock flitted in through the cracked window. It preened and spread out its large tail feathers, and then Severus could hear that familiar voice, "You have to bring Draco."

Severus closed his eyes and growled. When he opened them again, the Patronus was gone. He forced himself off of the couch and entered the bedroom. "I have to go." He scanned the room slowly, seeing Amilia sitting on the window seat with her knees up to her chest.

"I heard."

"Will you be awake when I return?"

"Probably not."

Severus sighed and crossed the room; he tucked some of her hair behind her ear, "I love you."

"You had better not be late."

"Do you want me to wake you when I get home?" Severus watched Amilia bring her fingers to her lips; he could see she was worried. He was too.

"No."

"Alright." He stepped away, looked into the crib, and gently touched his daughter's head before leaving the room.

Draco stood in the center of the common room; his hands shoved in his pockets as far as they could. "How are we going to get there?"

"Quiet." Severus was thinking. They could not take the Floo; no, that would flag the Ministry, and yet he did not want to risk bringing the boy into his private quarters, but it was closer, and the window was already open.

"Uncle?"

Severus sighed, "You have to keep quiet." He grabbed Dracos's arm, pulling him up the steps.

"What? Why?"

"Your goddaughter is sleeping."

Severus turned to face Draco in the sitting room, "Hold tight."

Draco embraced him, and off they went in a puff of smoke.