Chapter 64

Severus decided to stay up all night, anxiously awaiting any news. He had already taken Amilia to bed; she was sleeping soundly. Initially, after learning that Potter and his friends had left the castle, Severus left her alone so that he could inform the Order members and where to most likely find them.

Severus was unsure how Sirius Black came into the picture, but he did know that Potter was extremely concerned. He sighed; that boy would be the death of his friends if he did not get his impulses under control.

Severus hoped that the Order members would intercept the children before they got into too much trouble; however, his gut told him that would not be the case. Severus looked over his lesson plans from this school year, he did not think much needed to be changed, but he wanted to distract himself. It was proving too difficult to keep his mind from coming up with worst-case scenarios.

Severus knew that Lucius would be one of the Death Eaters waiting in the shadows to retrieve the item. That had been decided weeks ago; however, as far as Severus knew, the Dark Lord was still unsure how he would get the prophecy. The Dark Lord could not go into the Ministry himself, so he had spent most of this semester wondering how to get Harry to get it.

Severus stood up, shaking his head with his hands clasped behind his back as he stared out the nearby window. "What does the rest of it say?"

Severus heard knocking on the wall; he groaned as he stood up, muttering Amilia's password. Poppy stood in the corridor, a candle in her hand, "What is it?"

"Dumbledore has returned."

Severus stared at the witch, surprised. "Are you sure?"

"Yes. I have students in my wing that need my attention, I may need Amilia's help." Poppy stood on tiptoes, "Though it looks as if you are the only one awake."

"I am." Severus glanced over his shoulder, "I will wake her and see if she wants to help."

"Thank you." Poppy patted his cheek before walking away.

Severus sat on the edge of the bed; he stroked Amilia's hair for a moment before gently shaking her shoulder. She jerked before she squeezed her eyes tightly. "What?" She said unhappily.

"Poppy needs you if you feel up to it." Severus said softly.

"What?" Amilia shifted onto her back and rubbed her eyes. "Why?"

"The students have returned. So has Dumbledore."

Amilia blinked at him several times, sleep still holding her. "Am I dreaming this?"

"No, love you are not."

"Ugh." Amilia laid her head back on the pillow, "Give me a few minutes."

Severus smiled, patted her leg, and left the room to get her some coffee.

Amilia waddled into her sitting room; Severus sat at the small table with two mugs and a sliced apple. "I got you something quick to eat if you would like."

"I want to get to Poppy. I am curious to see what state the children are in."

"You can eat on the way." Severus rose from the chair and shoved a couple of apple slices in his wife's hand as she took his arm.

They tiptoed through the corridors and halls of Hogwarts to the hospital wing. Portraits were whispering about Dumbledore's return, Peeves was nowhere to be heard or seen, and the only sound that could be heard from yards away was their feet on the stone.

"What do you think happened at the Ministry?"

"I am sure we will learn by morning." Severus said quietly.