Chapter 30: Deserved Better

Narrator's POV

Lauren's heart ached when she saw Camila in person. She never saw Camila like this. Camila was skinny under the hoodie she wore. Her face was lanky with the biggest dark circles she ever saw under her eyes. Camila looked like she had lost her smile for decades. How scary things could change in six-seven months. Lauren gulped as she was saddened. She hated what Camila did that hurt her, but looking at her like this, Lauren felt sorry for Camila.

Lauren came to Camila's committing suicide news by herself. Normani did not tell her. She found out through the media one afternoon when she just got her phone back a week before she flew back. Lauren was shocked and decided to ask Normani all the details. She could not believe that both of them nearly died at the same time even though one was by intention and the other one was by accident. Knowing how Camila was doing in her life was not easy for Lauren. She despised how Camila ruined her heart, but still cared about her.

After a week of contemplating everything, Lauren decided that she had to meet Camila. She had to talk to Camila regardless their relationship had ended. Knowing that Camila was going to have a birthday party, Lauren wanted to visit her on her birthday. She was scheduled to arrive in Los Angeles on the first of March so she could go to the hospital before she met Camila. Some delays came up, she arrived in L.A. on the third of March in the late afternoon.

Normani suggested Lauren go to the hospital directly, but Lauren's stubborn head wanted to meet Camila. Normani disagreed, and they had a little argument. Normani gave in as she knew how stubborn Lauren could be, and she did not want to argue with Lauren, who was still fragile. Normani finally gave in and agreed to drive Lauren to Camila's place with one condition Lauren would go to the hospital afterward.

On the way to Camila's place. Normani hoped Lauren would change her mind, but Lauren did not. Lauren even asked her to stop at a shop to get Camila's flowers. Normani did not understand what Lauren did. Lauren told her that she didn't want anything to do with Camila anymore, but now she insisted to meet her instead of going to the hospital. On the other hand, Normani could easily guess that Lauren still loved Camila and would always love her despite whether they would end up together again or not.

All eyes in the main living room were on them. Those who knew saw the awkwardness between them. Those who did not know thought Camila was shocked to see her guest still come even though she just had an accident. Lauren always got Camila's back. When she saw Camila was anxious and lost her words, Lauren spoke first to avoid the suspicion of the guests, "Happy birthday!" Lauren took the flower lying next to her.

Camila finally moved and walked to Lauren when she saw Lauren struggling to stand up. Lauren stopped when Camila came to her. Camila took the flowers Lauren gave to her. She took the flower, but she could not even bring herself to thank Lauren. She was too anxious, too afraid, too lost to say something.

"I know I'm late, but... Do you still have your birthday cake left?" Lauren joked, trying to break the ice in the room.

The guests laughed when Lauren said that. Sinuhe and Dinah stepped in to help Camila. They knew Camila did not know what to say or how to respond to Lauren's sudden appearance.

"Lauren..." Dinah shook her head.

"Of course, we do, Lauren!" Sinuhe said.

Other guests arrived and greeted Camila. Sinuhe asked Dinah and Normani to take Lauren to the dining room so she could have some food and sit comfortably. Camila did not initiate to entertain the guests, but they would come and talk to her, asking about how she was doing. Sinuhe, Alejandro, and Sofia were the ones who truly entertained the guests. Camila didn't bother much. She only sat there with Perrie, and the guests would come to greet her.