Chapter 17: The Awards Night

Narrator's POV

Camila knew she had made a mistake by not seriously keeping in touch with Lauren. Alejandro, her manager, just told her that he called and spoke with Lauren this morning. He called Lauren, informing Lauren that the music video she directed for Camila was nominated for the best music video of the year at one of the famous awards. 

"You talked to her on the phone? Or Ally?" Camila asked Alejandro when Camila just finished the event she attended.

"Yes, she sounded happy and she asked me to congratulate you, too," Alejandro said. He did not know that Camila and Lauren had had more than a working relationship.

"Oh, great!" Camila said, but she made a face of thinking.

Sinuhe, who was with them, looked at Camila. She did not know what Camilla and Lauren's relationship was, but she knew Camila stayed over at Lauren's place twice. By the look on Camila's face, Sinuhe guessed her daughter and Lauren must not be on good terms. Something must have happened. Sinuhe asked Camila when Alejandro left with his car.

"Did she call you to congratulate you?" Sinuhe asked as she drove the car heading to Camila's home.

"No," Camila said, looking at her phone.

"I thought you two are good friends now," Sinuhe added.

"Maybe, she's busy," Camila said.

"You can call her first," Sinuhe suggested. She did not know her daughter had shared a bed and lots of intimacy with the young director, but she was suspicious something unpleasant happened between Lauren and Camila.

"I'll call her later." Camila looked out of the window. She knew Lauren would not answer her call, even her messages. Camila closed her eyes and tried to rest, but could not because she could not stop thinking of Lauren. She knew her mother was a little suspicious. She did not want to trigger her mother's curiosity, so she stayed with her eyes closed until her mother dropped her off.

"Thanks, mom!" Camila hugged her mother before she got out of the car.

"Have a nice evening, Camilita!" Her mother smiled.

"You, too, Mom! See you!" Camila said.

"See you!" Sinuhe waited for her daughter to get inside the house before she drove away.

Camila could drive and had a driver, but she preferred to go with her mother and let her mother pick her up when they went out together whether it was for work or leisure. She just wanted to spend more time with her mother as they did not live together anymore. In addition, her mother always insisted on picking her up and dropping her off whenever she could.

.

The next morning, Camila woke up at eight-thirty. She took her phone from the nightstand. She checked her phone and did not see any reply from Lauren. She tried to call and sent a message to Lauren last night. It was not surprising, and it was predictable that Lauren did not answer her. Camila sighed and put down her phone, looking at the bedroom ceiling and thinking: what should she do?

She recalled every single thing that happened between her and Lauren from the very beginning, when she called her when she met her in person when they were on set when Lauren consoled her and let her cry on Lauren's shoulder, until the last time when they made loved and kissed behind the closed door. Camila held her pillow tight as she missed Lauren. She knew she had things to fix because Lauren ignored her calls and messages.