246. Real Life

Three days after his birthday, Ian arrived home late at night when all three of the children were in bed. He made little noise as he made his way up the carpeted stairs to his and Nina's bedroom and softly opened the door before walking inside and placing his carrying-on bag on the floor and swiftly closed the door. He looked at the bed and smiled as he watched his wife sleep with the blankets half off. He was truly blessed to be married to such an amazing woman as Nina. He made his way to the built-in bathroom to change out of his travel clothes and wash up before returning to the room and climbing in beside Nina.

"Ian?" She quietly whispered.

"Shh go back to sleep," he murmured and she snuggled up beside him and threw an arm around his waist and he nailed as he pulled her closer and pressed a kiss to the top of her head. There no better feeling then being home with your wife and kids.

It felt as if he had just fallen asleep when the sun began to rise in the horizon and the door to his and Nina's beds room opened followed by the chatter of his three children.

"Shh," he heard Blaire whisper to her brothers and smiled, "mama's gonna wake up."

He was ready to see the faces of his daughter and sons when they see him laying beside their mother.

"Hewp," he heard Arrow whine at her and the drama queen huffed before he felt the bed sip as she helped her brother to to the bed. Nina was already awake but much like him, was pretending to be asleep to see how long it'll take for the little ones to realize their daddy was home after being gone for a while. Moments and two more dips of the bed later, both felt the kids crawl upwards towards them before Blaire gasped.

"DADDY!" Arrow screeched.

"You're home!" Blaire added after while Duncan screeched and clapped in delight making Ian and Nina chuckle as they opened their eyes.

"Dada!" Duncan screeched in delight once again as he crawled up and nestled himself between Nina and Ian. His head under his father's chin and sighed in happiness. Of course the other row wanted to have their fill of their daddy so they too cuddled up beside him and Nina chuckled shaking her head before climbing out of bed and went into the bathroom to wash up before emerging back in the room.

"I'll go get started on breakfast," she said with a smile after giving him and their kids a morning kiss.

****

Nina was just finishing setting the table when she heard footsteps making their way down the hall filled by three little kids all chattering at the same while Ian reacted to each accordingly. She shook her head as she watched him and their children enter the dinning room. Arrow and Duncan on each arm while Blaire walked beside him.

"Did you all wash up?" Nina asked them and they nodded, "then come, let's eat."

"Mommy what about daddy's cake?" Blaire asked and Nina smiled.

"We will have it later for lunch how does that sound?" She asked her eldest who nodded with a smile.

Nina—while she waited for her husband and children to join her— had called Blaire's school and Arrow's daycare to let them know that both kids would be staying home for the day as she knew they would long have wanted to go to school knowing their father was home.

"So what do you three want to do today with daddy and me?" Nina asked once they had all finished their meals and the dishes were in the dishwasher and the counters were cleaned.

"Movies!" Blaire and Arrow exclaimed and the youngest Somerhalder boy giggled and clapped at hearing his older siblings excitement.

And so after covering their carpet with blankets, Nina and Ian made the snacks, the family of five got comfortable in the living room to watch movies. It was after all only 8 in the morning.

Three movies and one sleeping toddler later, Nina and Ian decided that it was time for lunch so once he had put Duncan down in the playpen, he went and helped j na with lunch while Arrow and Blaire played on the table so as to not wake their baby brother.

Lunch was soon in full swing with the kids animatedly talking about the movie—Frozen—they watched and what movie they wanted to watching next—Blaire wants to watch The Little Mermaid while Arrow wants to watch Cars. Ian and Nina just listened and ate as their eldest children discussed what movie to watch next. They had a system going on.

"We watch Cars next," Blaire said and her brother beamed and nodded, "then we watch Little Mermaid, okay?"

"Okay sissy," Arrow nodded. Their parents smiled y their interaction before getting them back to eating their lunch. Duncan woke from his nap just as they finished and Ian went to get him out of the play pen.

"Have a nice nos Buddy?" Ian asked him as the toddler nodded and rested his head on his father's shoulder who chuckled as he walked back to the dinning room where Nina had his bottle ready.

"Okay, you ready to sing to daddy?" Nina asked Blaire and Arrow once they had finished their lunch and their eyes brightened up at the mention of singing. Ian smiled as he fed Duncan—the 2 year old had just woken up from his nap—and watched as his wife had eldest children walked back to the table holding a chocolate frosted cake with candles burning.

"Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday to you!" They sang making Duncan turn his head goers the noise and he dropped the bottle and sat up clapping his tiny hands when he saw his mother and siblings bringing out the cake as they continued to sing. "Happy birthday dear daddy, happy birthday to you!"

"Thank you very much," Ian said with a smile before asking them to help him blow the candles out.

"Did you make a wish daddy?" Blaire asked and Ian hummed nodding.

She grinned before giving him a big smooch on the cheek followed by her brothers. Nina pecked him on the lips. "Happy Birthday, handsome."