234. Real Life

The Somerhalder household was hectic. To say the least. Ian and Nina have been running from one side of the house to the next trying to get everything for Blaire's pre-school graduation ready. The little girl was officially done with school as of last week but due to Nina and Ian having to work, they and postponed the celebration until today when both were officially taking a break from work. Yes, both had been present when she finished preschool and had gone out to have a celebratory dinner, but it was still not the same as they both had to leave the following day both to promote their drinks.

Now with them deciding to take time from doing so, both Ian and Nina decided to throw Blaire her princess preschool graduation party they had promised her.

"What time were guests supposed to arrive?" Ian asked as the front door bell rang and Nina looked down at her watch

"They should be arriving at four which isn't for another two hours," she replied putting down the streamers she had been holding down on the Thales before going to see who's as at the door. She peeked through the peephole to see Kat and Michael with their kids on the other side of the door and raised a brow before pulling the door open.

"Hey," she greeted them with a smile that then returned before letting them in, "What are you guys don't here so early?"

"We figured you two might need some help so we came over to help," Michael answered setting the twins down who immediately ran off to look for the eldest Somerhalder kids. Nina gave them a thankful smile as she led them towards the family room where Ian was currently blowing some balloons up with Duncan napping beside him in the playpen.

"Hey, what are you guys don't here so early?" Ian asked as he tied the balloon up before standing to give them a hug in greeting. Kat replied and Ian—much like Nina—gave them a grateful smile.

"So what do you guys still need to set up?" Kat asked with a hand on her hips.

"We still need to set the snack table," Nina said and she nodded before heading in the direction of where the snack table was and got down to business. Michael on the other hand helped Ian blow the balloons up while Nina headed to the kitchen to check on the food.

******

"You guys have no idea how grateful we are for your help," Nina said once the family room was finally finished. Ian nodded in agreement but both Kat and Michael only shook their heads and smiled waving them off.

"You helped us when the twins graduated preschool so it's only logical that we do the same." Kat replied with a smile that Ian and Nina returned. "Why don't you go get the kids and yourselves ready?"

Again the pair nodded, excused themselves while they headed upstairs with their three kids to get ready for a fun and relatively normal celebration for a soon to be four year old pre-school graduate. Since the party was princess themed, Blaire picked to be her all ten favorite—Cinderella while Arrow would be Prince Charming, Duncan was going to be flounder from the little mermaid while Nina was going to be Ariel and Ian would be Prince Eric.

"Oh my goodness," Kat gushed when the family of five rejoined them a few moments later dressed in their outfits, "Don't you look like a real life princess, Miss Blaire,"

The little girl beamed up at her auntie with a toothy grin as she twirled in her dress.

"Has anyone arrived yet?" Nina asked and Jake as she finished asking, the door bell rang signaling the arrival of the rest of the guests.

When the last guest arrived, the house was filled with loud laughter as the children played while the parents talked abut anything and everything in a corner of the family room.

"Can't believe she's done with school," Paul said as he looked out the sliding glass doors to the yard where Blaire and both Kat and Candice's children were currently playing on the playground Ian had bought the kids to play with.

"I know," Nina said while rocking baby Duncan who was falling asleep after having his bottle. "It feels like she just started and now she's off to kindergarten next year,"

"Don't children typically start kindergarten at 5?" Michael Trevino asked and Nina shook her head

"Yeah, which means she'll be repeating the year " she replied and he nodded, "She's still young to begin kindergarten,"

"She's growing up so fast," Candice said and the parents couldn't agree more, "I mean it's insane that she already turning four. It feels like it was yesterday you guys were telling us the new of your pregnancy and now you're having a soon to be four year old."

"Don't remind us," Ian said as he look e out the window to see his daughter climbing the red slide in her Cinderella dress, "not only that but we'll be having a 3 year old soon who'll start his own journey to ECP and then preschool."

"Oh gosh please don't remind me," Nina said as she looked over at her two year old who was happily playing with his toy cars with Kat and Michael's younger son. "I don't want to think about my babies growing up,"

"That's one of the worst things to think about," Kat said with Candice and Claire nodding in agreement, "no parent wants to think about their children growing."

The rest of the evening went by quilt and before they knew it, the pastry has come to an end with Blaire having received many gifts form her aunties and uncles.

"Did you have a good time?" Nina asked later that tonight as she got Blaire ready for bed and she nodded with beaming smile, "I'm glad you had fun, love bug."

"Gots to play with cousins mama!" She exclaimed with a grin making Nina smile

"You did," she agreed with a smile before pressing a kiss to her forehead, "alright, sweetie. In you go."

"Read?"

"Okay."