HJ: Setbacks

byeol's pov

how's life?

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"Earth to the stars!" I snapped out of my trance as Hongjoong waved his arms in front of me.

"Oh, sorry," I mumbled, rubbing my eyes. I could already feel the tears staring to build up...

I was sitting on the couch supposedly rewatching episode five of Imitation, but my mind kept wandering back to earlier this morning and replaying those moments. I guess I zoned out on the show-- another k-drama had started playing already.

"Byeolie, what's wrong?" Hongjoong asked, concerned, as he lifted up the remote and hit the pause button.

"It's... it's nothing, don't worry about it." I picked up my phone, pretending to scroll through insta, but my mind was elsewhere. He clicked his tounge, sitting next to me on the couch.

"You're been acting up all evening. It's obvious something's bothering you." He said, but not harshly.

"It's just--" I stopped myself and took a deep breath. I didn't want my emotions to take over. "You know about the project I've been working on, right?"

"Mmhm." He nodded, listening with soft eyes.

"Well, it was a group project... and my team members and I had already figured out who was going to do what part before we started the project...." I went on, explaining the general process up until what happened today. "And then he didn't use a single thing that I did in the final thing. Like, AT ALL! I put so much work into it--" The tears sprang to my eyes, but I tried my best not to let them fall. I could tell he noticed because I saw him visibly tense up. "And-- and-- and he didn't even bother to tell me that he wasn't going to use any of my stuff before he published it!"

"That's terrible..." Hongjoong frowned.

"And he was the one putting all of our parts together and he published it and sent it out without even asking the other team member or me if we wanted to look at it--" Aaaaand I lost it. I was so frustrated at my group member and the stupid project and his stupid ego or whatever and just... ugh.

"No, no, Byeol, don't cry..." Hongjoong placed a hand on my shoulder, but that just made everything worse. All of my work and effort and the hours, days, weeks I put into it-- all WASTED!

"He's an idiot," Hongjoong said, wrapping an arm around me and letting me cry on his shoulder. "I know how hard you working on your parts. Hell, you even argued with Wooyoung about it!"

"EXACTLY!" I choked out.

"That guy just made more work for himself by doing his parts and your parts. But if this is bringing you to tears, then it's really bad. Should I go talk to him--?"

"No, no, it's okay," I said quickly.

"You should talk to him then. If not, then at least the other person in your group or someone higher up." He advised, and I nodded lightly. "Now, come on, don't cry." He moved around so my head would rest against his shoulder, eyes staring up at the ceiling, and his arms lightly huged my waist in a comforting back hug. I pulled my knees to my chest, wiping my face.

"Look at you, you're such a wonderful person." Hongjoong started quietly, gently running his fingers through my hair. "You have those cute brown eyes, beautiful hair and such a pretty, pretty face," I blushed, but he continued, oblivious since he couldn't see my expression. "And you're so, so, kind and funny and hardworking and passionate and... and we love you so much. Setbacks like these happen in life. Not everyone share the same views, and sometimes, they don't care to compromise. So don't waste your time on such things; your tears aren't worth it. Besides, since this wasn't your fault, maybe you can get revenge later!" I finally smiled in what felt like forever.

"Ah, Joongie," I shook my head, chuckling at his childish solution. I closed my eyes, sniffling one last time.

"Don't pay too much attention to it, Byeol. Things happen, and it's okay. You did okay. You did great, actually." I smiled.

"Thanks, captain."

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

wise words from our captain
dont cry atiny, your tears aren't worth it :)

i took inspiration for this chapter from a real-life event (woah) and this --> https://youtu.be/v6z5xVcCcOU?t=110

(starting from 1:50 cuz i couldn't find the original video lol)

does anyone have any ideas for Jongho?

lol