Chapter 26

In Bucharest, Bucky is in civvies at a fruit store. He buys some plums.

"Ce fac ei?  Sunt bune?" Bucky asks in Romanian. "Dă-mi șase," he insists and the fruit seller passes him six plums. "Mulțumesc."

Bucky, in a black cap and casual jeans, walks along the sidewalk, scanning around. Across the street, he spits a twenty-something vender at a newsstand watching him. Bucky glances away and then he looks back at the vender, who is still watching him. The vendor runs from his kiosk. Bucky goes over and he picks up a paper. On the front page, there are surveillance photos of a man and the headline reads something about the Winter Soldier in a foreign language that Bucky understands. Bucky glances around tensely.
======

In his blue armored suit and her purple one, Steve and Mary are in a small apartment. They loom around. There is a mattress that is covered in a disheveled looking cover. There is some other cheap furniture. There a kitchen and bedroom, which are in the same room. Steve finds a notebook on the fridge and Mary sees him. Her brother.

"Heads up, Cap, Mary," Sam says through the coms. "German Special Forces, approaching from the South."

Bucky us staring at her. He knows her. But he can't remember from where. The HYDRA messed with his head too much... especially since he was the one to release Mary from their grasps.

"Do you know me?" Steve asks as slowly turns.

Bucky turns to stare at Steve. "You're Steve," he says and Mary's heart flutters at the sound of his voice. "I read about you in a museum."

"They've set the perimeter," Sam's voice says.

"I know you're nervous," Steve says. "And you have plenty of reason to be. But you're lying.'

"I wasn't in Vienna," Bucky claims. "I don't do that anymore." He looks back at Mary. He's been working in his own state of mind, to remember who he used to be, his past life, but it's not working quite right.

"They're entering the building," Sam says.

"The people who think you did are coming here now," Mary says and Bucky tilts his side, even her voice is familiar. "They're not planning on taking you alive."

"That's smart," Bucky claims. "Good strategy."

"They're on the roof," Sam says. "I'm compromised."

"This doesn't have to end in a fight, Bucky," Mary says.

Outside the door, a cop readies a battering ram.

"It always ends in a fight," Bucky replies.

"Five seconds," Sam warns,

"You pulled me from the river," Steve says. "Why?"

"I don't know," Bucky replies.

"Three seconds!"

"He's, you do."

"Breach! Breach! Breach!"

A grenade crashes through the window. Bucky kicks it to Steve and Steve smothers it with his shield.

"Scheiß die Tür auf!" A GSG-9 soldier demands, telling the cop to shoot the door.

The cop slams the bartering ram against the door. Bucky shields himself and Mary with the mattress against the attack from the window. Mary uses her banshee scream to block the door as the cops rings in on cables. Steve pulls the rug from under a policeman, sending him flying. Bucky slams another policeman into the wall.

"Buck, stop!" Steve demands. "You're gonna kill someone!"

"Suntem tu și eu în această lume, mereu și pentru totdeauna," Mary says in Romanian and Bucky tenses up at the familiar words.