Chapter 15

While Clint works on the porch rail with Elijah, Katie and Mary are in the kitchen, Steve is chopping wood while talking to Tony. Laura goes out to ask Tony to look at their tractor.

"Can you cook good?" Katie asks as Laura comes back inside. "My mommy can."

"I can cook ok," Mary replies. "But I can bake even better."

"Cupcakes!" Katie begs.

"I'll get the stuff," Laura says.

Katie cheers and she high-fives Mary and Mary chuckles. Mary makes some cupcakes while Laura tries to keep Katie distracted. Katie brings one to Elijah when they're finished.
====

Mary sits outside that night while a fury talks to the others. Katie walks out.

"My mommy said you can tuck me in," Katie says.

Mary looks at Laura, who had followed Katie out.

"It's fine," Laura says softly. "She'd like you do do it as Screaming Woman, though."

Mary waves a hand and she changes. Katie giggles and she grabs her hand. Clint watches as his daughter drags Screaming Woman upstairs. Natasha will update her on what Fury's saying.

"Can you do a siren lullaby?" Katie asks. "I'm not sleepy."

"I don't know," Mary says.

"It'll help her sleep," Laura muses. "If not, she'll be hyper."

Mary sends a siren lullaby to Katie, a soft one. Once she's asleep, she goes to catch a ride to the tower with Fury once she's out of her Screaming Woman outfit.

"Hey, Mary?" Laura calls as she runs outside. "Come back whenever. Katie would love it. Elijah would, too."

"I will when I can," Mary promises.

Clint watches as the two women smile at each other. He relaxes a little bit before he goes with Captain America and Natasha for a recon. Bruce smiles at Mary when she gets in the plane and she sits with him.

"Are you okay?" He asks.

"I'm fine now, Bruce," Mary replies and they just sit there.