Chapter 12

"All our work is gone," Bruce says as they all gather in the lab to look at the robot Ultron was in. "Ultron cleared out. Used the internet as an escape."

"He's been into everything," Natasha says as Mary walks into the room wearing some leggings and a Ironman t-shirt. "Files, surveillance. Probably knows more about us than we know about each other."

"He's in your files," Sam says as he stands up to walk. "He's in the internet. But if he decides to access something a little more exciting..."

"Nuclear codes," a woman, Elena, says.

"Nuclear codes," Sam confirms. "Look, we need to make some calls. Assuming we we still can."

"Nukes. He said he wanted us dead."

"He didn't say he wanted us dead," Steve says. "He said extinct."

"He also said that he killed somebody," Clint says.

"There wasn't anybody else in the building," Elena says.

"Yes, there was," Tony says and he puts up an orange halegram that doesn't look all together.

Bruce walks up to it, his arms out. "This is insane," he says.

"Jarvis was the first line of defense," Steve says as Clint and Mary stand on the operation floor but close. "He would have shut Ultron down. It makes sense."

"No," Bruce says. "Ultron could have assimilated Jarvis. This isn't strategy. This is rage."

Thor comes storming in and he grabs Tony by the throat and lifts him up.

"It's going around," Clint comments.

"I have more than enough words to describe you, Stark," Thor says.

"Thor," Steve warns. "The legionnaire."

Thor drops Tony then. "Trail went cold about a hundred miles out. It's headed north and it has the scepter. Now we have to retrieve it. Again."

"Geinie's our of that bottle," Nat says. "Clear and present is Ultron."

"I don't understand," Dr. Cho says and she turns around. "You built this program," she adds and Tony heads to a computer. "Why is it trying to kill us?"

Tony starts laughing and everyone looks at each other before looking at Tony. Bruce shakes his head when Tony glances at him.

"You think this is funny?" Thor asks.

Tony turns to face the God. "No," he says. "It's probably not... right? This is very terrible. Is it so.." he laughs again. "It - it is, it is. It's so terrible."

"This could have been avoided if you hadn't played with something you understand," Thor says as Clint leans over his girl as she leans against the post, her butt right in his crotch and he is doing this to hide something during this serious situation.

"I'm sorry." Tony approaches the God. "It is funny. It's a hoot that you don't get why we need this."

"Toony," Bruce warns. "Maybe this might not be the time -"

"Really?" Tony interrupts as he turns around. "That's it? You just roll over, show your belly every time somebody snarls."

"Only when I've created a murder bot," Bruce remarks.

"We didn't," Tony says as Mary feels Clint's friend on her but she doesn't push him away because one, she likes it, and two, she doesn't wish to embarrass him.

Clint stands straighter but he's still basically connected to her. Natasha knows why she's standing like that and she understands why Mary's not pushing him away. Clint shouldn't show off his boner he has for Mary while this is going on. He just rests his hands on her hips in her leggings.

"We weren't even close," Tony says. "Were we close to an interface?"

"Well, you did something right," Steve says. "And you did it right here." He steps forward. "The Avengers were supposed to be different than she-"

"Anybody remember when I carried a nuke through a wormhole?" Tony asks,

"No," Sam says, "i never heard that."

"Saved New York?" Tony continues. "Recall that?"

Clint looks down at Mary and how she's still leaning on the rail. He leans up and he buries his face in her hair that smells like strawberries. He did come out ok in the end of that battle to save New York but he still was under the influence of Loki. He hates himself for it.

"... that a hostile alien army came charging through a hole in space... were 300 feet below it," Tony continues as Clint keeps his face in Mary's hair to keep calm. "We're the Avengers. We can bust arms dealers all day but that up there..." he points up "... that's, that's the endgame. How are you guys planning on beating that?"

"Together," Steve replies.

"We'll lose," Tony says.

"And we'll do that together, too," Steve claims. "Thor's right," he adds as Tony walks away from him. "Ultron's calling us out and I'd like to find him before he's ready for us. The world's a big place. Start making it smaller."

Clint grabs Mary's arm and he drags her away to have a quickie before the world needs them. He can't wait any longer and neither can she.