15

April 16, 1916; Hulluch, France

"We need to make this a priority! Troops need to be sent to this area. Mr.France is having trouble pushing back German forces, and we can spare a unit to help."

"Mr. England, if we send more, how will we keep up with the frontal attacks?"

"Mr. Italy has switched sides; we can use the troops he has been offering. It isn't much, but it's enough to outnumber Germany."

"MR. ENGLAND! MR. ENGLAND! MR. ENGLAND! MR. ENGLAND! MR. ENGLAND! MR. ENGLAND!"

Everyone at the table looked at the commotion, and I noticed someone running toward us. He was one of the mail boys. "What is it?" I asked, worried.

The boy had stopped running and placed his hand on his knees to catch his breath. "I was...I was told it ...it was urgent...a letter...from...Mr.France!" He tried to say.

Although his words were all over the place, my mind only focused on the words: Urgent, Letter, Mr. France.

The boy held the letter out for me, and I immediately snatched it from his hand. "Give me, I'll be the judge of that," I spoke. Francis had continuously sent letters to me, and I never answered, but if this one was urgent. Then...I needed to answer.

Everyone looked at me confused as if waiting to hear if the letter had good or bad news. Many close officers knew Francis sent me mail, but no one dared to ask about it. Especially if I said, it wasn't important.

I began to open the letter and suddenly noticed this distinct instrumental music playing from one of the radios in the back. It sounded like something Francis would like. It was odd...

I was hearing something that reminded me of him as I was about to open his letter.

So...

I opened it quickly.

It must be my sign that something important or urgent must have happened. I really hope it is good news; I do not think I can stand all of this bad news any longer.

"Dear Arthur,

If this letter made it to you quickly, I would be glad. I told the mail boy it was urgent so that you could read it..."

I paused reading so I could roll my eyes. "It's a false alarm; continue with your work," I directed. The officers around me nodded, and I began to move away to read the letter in peace. This idiot. He needed to act like the boy who cried wolf to get my attention. How pathetic if you ask me.

Despite that, I was still going to try and read the letter. There must be a reason he said this one specifically was urgent. The sound of airplanes in the back was distracting, so I tried to focus.

" Once again, this may sound sudden, but I must repeat it. I miss you...

I miss you so much, my darling. I don't think you understand how deeply I care for you. Every time I try to find the words to tell you in person, I somehow find myself getting interrupted..."

"WHAT IS GOING ON? STOP THAt?" I heard a shout. I stopped reading to look at what was happening. It seems as though some soldiers were messing with each other. It didn't seem to bother any of the officers, so I ignored it and kept reading.

Francis always had a way with words, but I'd never let them get to me. I think he mostly said things like this to try and annoy me. However, little did he know, it did the opposite. I felt flattered by his words, but I would never tell him that.

As if they would do anything to me anyway. I cared for him too, and although I was a bit insulting and mean to him sometimes, I meant it playfully. I have known him for ages, and nothing could erase our history.