Extra 2: Suez Canal

1956

"Hey, I'm so glad you could meet me on such short notice. It's been so long since we met; it's a nice change!"

"Yeah...I did say I could meet with you anytime you asked. I even took time out of my busy schedule to come and see you. However, I can see you are hiding something...what do you want?" I asked. He held his head a bit nervously, locking his hands together. "So, I know you said a long time ago you would tell me no for anything I asked, but I would like for you to reconsider."

I lifted an eyebrow, confused. What on earth was he going on about? "Uh, sure...just tell me what it is..." I spoke. His head shot toward me, and he stared at me intensely. Despite wanting to see him often, I really had restraint. I focused on myself more than anything, especially as this new type of war emerged between America and Russia. It was cold and fearful, and no one knew what the outcome would be.

"You see...I have been wanting to ask you something for a very long time...it has been on my mind..."

"Okay...spit it out!"

He tried smiling at me, but it was unsettling.

"England..." he started. England? Why so formal?

"Yes...?"

"I would like...for you to marry me...."

I felt my soul leave my body as he asked me such a ridiculous question. There was no way he was serious. The look on his face was screaming that he was being forced to ask me this. However, I still needed to address the problem. I could not try and avoid it. I slowly stood up, trying not to look so terrified.

"Ah! You sure do love your jokes! I believe it is May! You a month passed April Fool's day..." I laughed. Maybe if I could make a run for it, he won't notice that I suddenly left. "No...this is not a joke...The Suez canal crisis has made us bankrupt! We could become one! That is good, right? If that does not work, I could be part of your Commonwealth!"

"Yeah...you are so broke you can not even afford a calendar...idiot," I laughed. However, he did not laugh with me; he was serious. "I am serious...this is not a joke..."

"NO! WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU?!" I tried to make a run for it, but he quickly stopped me. "Please! We can get married and love each other forever and ever!"

"NO! HANDS OFF! DEAL WITH YOUR OWN PROBLEMS, AND STOP TRYING TO DRAG ME DOWN WITH YOU!"

"What if I die? It would be your fault!"

"Screw you! THAT IS SUCH A TERRIBLE REASON TO GET MARRIED! Ignoring all other factors of the situation, I would never marry you for a silly reason like that!" I glared. I felt my face turning red as I pushed him away from me, and all he could do was stare at me in disbelief. I began to fix myself a bit, and it seemed as if he began to fake cry.

"No! I WILL NOT GIVE UP!

"HUUUUUH?!"

"ENGLAND! YOU WILL MARRY ME!"

"HUH?! GET OFF ME, YOU STUPID IDIOT!"

"NO! YOU PROMISED YOU WOULD HELP ME WITH WHATEVER I NEEDED!"

"YEAH! LIKE WITH LENDING SILVERWARE OR GIVING YOU A RIDE! NOT DIPLOMATIC MARRIAGE!"

"ENGLAND!"

"GET OFF ME!"

"NO!"

"STOP IT! LET GO OF ME! WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!"

"YOU WILL SIGN THE FORM!"

"NOOO!"

"STOP FREAKING OUT! IT IS NOT A BIG DEAL!"

"I HATE YOU! I AM NEVER TALKING TO YOU AGAIN!"

"LIAR!"

"LET GO! FRAAAAAAAANCCCCCEEE"