-17-

"What about her?" I propose, standing next to James—but not too close that I might accidentally touch him—, watching some random girl walking down the hall towards the cafeteria. 

"I've never seen her before," he mumbles, barely moving the lips. He has the headphones on but he still speaks lowly so people won't pay attention to him.

"That's the point. You probably won't see her again so it doesn't matter if you sound crazy for just asking her about the ghost stories and so," I reason but I can see the reluctance in his face and I feel both sympathetic and amused at the sight.

We've been at this, trying to find someone to talk to so he can finally ask what we want to know, for like fifteen minutes to no avail. He always finds an excuse to stay away and that is proof he really isn't a people person. His anxiety is evident when people are around and when he knows he is supposed to interact. All his determination went away when we saw the first person. I should probably tell him it's okay, he doesn't need to do all this, but I can't help myself, I'm actually having fun seeing him like this.

I know he ignores everyone because that way he doesn't risk replying to a ghost—what he did with me but that's just because I annoyed him—but without that knowledge he just comes off as a rude person when in reality he's just awkward. I think that knowing that makes me like him better.

"James?" someone asks, catching me completely off guard so I scream and jump, turning around raising my arms in a defence posture, ready to go all karate kid on whomever approached us. James reacts pretty similar, minus the whole scream and karate pose, but he is equally surprised.

When we turn around I realise it is Roxy the one that spoke and she is watching James with a confused expression. I get why she could be confused, considering he was hiding behind the corner, watching creepily the other students walk by. But even if she saw James hiding a body she shouldn't approach and just keep walking, especially when she's alone. It makes me angry that she is here, looking at a nervous James that was caught off guard and hasn't pulled himself together yet. I want to push her so she can give him space, and if in the way I manage to make her turn around and leave James alone, even better.

"What are you doing?" she asks instead and I feel about to snarl and show her my teeth like an angry dog.

James should pull one of his moves and just ignore her. Stand straight, shrug and walk away. But he doesn't and I'm too focused on glaring at Roxy to see what his face looks like.

"Looking for something," he replies instead and my eyes widen because he is talking to her.

Before I turn to look at him I can see Roxy practically beaming because James's talked to her and that makes me so angry, but I still turn to stare at him with my most bewildered expression. His is cold, though, tense and a bit angry. Almost like when he yelled at me and was that cruel and that is somehow relieving. I have to admit I don't want Roxy to see James' smiles or more approachable aura.

"Can I help you instead? I'm free right now," she offers and I clench my fists.

"No," I reply for him, stomping my foot to give emphasis. James' eyes dart to me for the briefest second before watching Roxy again.

Is it wrong that I want to stand between them and block his view? Even if I'm shorter than her and it would be useless? I just want her away, very far away from us right now. I've always disliked her but right now she's annoying me and I don't even want her near to mock her or something like I've done before.

"Maybe," replies James instead and I feel like someone punched me in the guts.

"What?" I say at the same time she says "Really?"