Chapter Fourteen - The Reward

"I'm going to talk to Greef," Mando told me as the ship landed, rising from his chair.

"What about the kid?" I questioned, eyes flickering to the green creature for a moment.

"We'll take him in afterwards. I want to talk to Greef about a bounty," Din explained.

"My bounty?" I guessed, watching as his figure stopped in the doorway. That was a yes. "Surely since the bounty is placed on my head, I should go with you."

Mando turned to face me as I rose from my chair. "You having a bounty on your head is exactly the reason why you shouldn't walk into a room full of hunters."

He had a point. I hated to admit it, but he did. "Cuyir ulyc (be careful)."

The man only gave me a short nod before exiting the ship, leaving me onboard. I heard the familiar sound of the hanger door opening before the ship fell into silence. And yet, a ship was never silent. Even with the engine off, I could hear the thrum of its engine.

Han once told me that a ship was like a skeleton. It had bones and blood. A brain that told the body what to do and a heart that controlled it. Of course, I had thought it too philosophical for Han Solo to have made it up, but he never admitted it. Maybe he was clever after all.

There was a murmur in the ship's heart. A moment where it didn't beat correctly. I could hear it. "Kriff," I cursed lightly, ducking under the doorway and into the veins of the ship.

It was a small problem. One that I anticipated to be an easy fix. Alas, it might not even be something that needed to be repaired, but a small problem is a still a problem nonetheless and although tiny in hindsight, could grow into something worse. Into a threat.

Lowering myself under the grates of the ship I, on my hunkers, walked along the wired controls. I had to say that I was completely shocked at how quickly we had put the ship back together on Arvala-7. I was even more surprised when it managed to fly. Despite the clear dumb luck Mando and I had had, there was bound to be problems that arose. Stopping beside the engines control panel, I found one.

As I had thought, it was an easy fix. A connection had simply come loose and it was only a matter of tightening so that it didn't break away.

"Karishma," he breathed, voice airy and light in my ears and yet the ill intent in his tone was clear.

I didn't turn my head in fear of the man appearing. Maul. He had riddled his way so far into my mind that I could tell whether he was truly trying to talk to me or if my mind was playing tricks on me. I hoped for the latter.

"Solo!" a different voice called out, this one muffled by the helmet he wore.

"Down here!" I replied, moving back along the ground and pulling myself up to the main body of the ship. "You didn't take long."

"There wasn't much to talk about," Din told me, walking closer.

I brushed the dust from my hands as I stood. This ship was covered in it. "How so?"

"I asked him had he given the puck to anyone here," Mando explained. I began to make my way towards the cockpit again. The Mandalorian followed.

"And?"

"He said he didn't," the man answered.

Ducking under the doorway, we entered the cockpit. "I take it from your tone that you don't believe him."

"He gave it to me. Who's to say that he didn't give it to anyone else."

Nodding slowly, I crossed my arms, leaning back against the co-pilot chair. "He said he wouldn't."