twelve. warm

[ chapter twelve ]

ARWANI was sat down in the special space she had brought Neteyam to, her legs dipped in waters whilst her eyes traced over the natural marks of the glowing cave

ARWANI was sat down in the special space she had brought Neteyam to, her legs dipped in waters whilst her eyes traced over the natural marks of the glowing cave. Her dark wavy hair, still damp from both the salt waters and from the rain. The white of her eyes were red, they burned as she kept them open- staring mindlessly, as another whole reality preoccupied her.

It was hours later, possibly a falling night.

The healer recalled the earlier argument with her mother, most arguments they had were simply petty with either each of them ( or both ) leaving the conversation a bit moody or irritated.

Collaborations of shouting, screaming and yelling at each other weren't that often but not that rare either. Cursing, rage that doubles, aggressive and can be considered hostile- with every word they pour their soul into them, and was directed to each other.

When people suggest that they should pour their emotions into their words a lot more, Arwani thinks it's ridiculous because something like this already exists between them- their arguing.

Arwani was always the fool, she knew that already but it seemed hard to process it. Always left feeling empty, numb, and tired- the anger wasn't released fully, it's still waiting to be filled again and then released again. A never ending cycle.

And the Metkayina girl couldn't help but think of a similar argument that happened years ago between the duo, exactly right after the shenanigan with Zei'ro. Arwani understood why the woman would be disappointed in her for taking the matter in her own hands but at the same time, she couldn't understand.

For the first time in her life, she felt a bit of satisfaction over something. Even when she knew it was wrong, Arwani felt sorrow for the knowledge that she processed as a teenager- that Anaera would never be on her side, any of them.

And those last words did her mentor say, that stood with her; within every single breath she takes, following. After voicing her point of the adults that wouldn't do anything even if she asked them to, standing up for herself-

Her mother muttered to her that day,

- " Your father would have been very disappointed in you. "

And something in Arwani had cracked when hearing that sentence, she became violent for her own sake- would any parent want their child to be so? No.

But the day her father died was the day she became an orphan, her mother no matter how hard she tried, was no longer in the picture. What parents were there to tell her that?