Chapter 16: a worthy opponent

Flashback end, Time skip 11 hours, location Zifang

Now there was seemingly quietness between the city of Zifang and the nearest city, Xuezhuangsicun, which was a mere 609 meters away from each other. 609 meters was the divide that split the Dragon Empery forces, and Dragon Union forces. Though no one dared show themselves outside the protective cover of the buildings, as they'd almost immediately get shot at.

To the northwest was the Yihe River, and on the Zifang side was a bridge to the other side. While the bridge was unnecessary for the Dragon Union forces, as portals could act as a temporary means, it was important for the defenders in Zifang, as it was both an exit and resupply route. But the frontlines seemed unmoving. So far, the ship girls had air superiority, but if they tried pushing into Xuezhuangsicun, they'd be at a disadvantage.

Now Akagi could be seen in a low building that used to be a house. It was on the edge of town, beside a road that was next to the river. She peeked out of a window slightly, and just saw the city 609 meters away. Though she could see the occasional movement from there, it was too small to make out exactly what it was. She sighed as she lowered her head and leaned against the wall.

"Nothing?" Zuikaku asked. Now Akagi looked over and saw Zuikaku leaning on the doorway. Now she had her left arm back, as a repair bath had been quickly set up for them. Her arms crossed, and had a smirk on her face.

"What's that smirk for?" Akagi asked in a slightly annoyed tone.

"Partially because you called me stupid. But because, it was the plan I made, that stopped Shandong, and forced them out of here"

"The War isn't done" Akagi said as she stood up, but avoided the windows. Now she walked towards Zuikaku "that wouldn't count as merit, unless we push them out of China all together"

Zuikaku hesitated as Akagi now passed by her "Do you think we can?"

Now Akagi stopped walking and turned to look at Zuikaku. She let out a heavy sigh, before laughing "there is two ways we could win. Either the Ghost comes and saves us all, or Kaga comes back. If neither happens, we're all dead"

"Why Kaga?"

Now Akagi let out another heavy sigh, before turning away "do I really need to explain?" She spoke in a very annoyed tone "Kaga is probably the ONLY one who could talk Yamato out of this. And even if she couldn't, she'd be able to work alongside the Ghost. But Kaga isn't here" now she seemed to grimace before walking down the hall.

But Zuikaku then asked "But what if Kaga sides with Yamato?"

Now Akagi laughed, before glancing back at her "then I guess we'd either all be dead, or the Sakura Empire would bow to the Abyss Empire"

Now Zuikaku sighed as she saw Akagi walking away. She turned back now into the room and wandered over to one of the windows. She summoned two red shikigami before throwing them outside. They flew up into the air before turning into two zeroes

"Ok" she said to herself "let's see if you have anything special"

The two zeroes flew upwards higher, they were soon above Xuezhuangsicun, and Zuikaku could look down on the city. She couldn't see much at first, but could then spot several tanks and other vehicles. The soldiers appeared like ants, and it was hard to see exactly how many there were. But it didn't look like any ship girls or Abyssals were that, at least from what she could see.

The two zeroes then flew over the Yihe River, to see if anything had changed on the other side. But as they flew over, Zuikaku saw a shadow in the water, to the south. She was confused for a moment before guiding her planes to investigate the shadow. But it was almost impossible to tell what it was. For all she knew, it could be a trick on her eyes, and it was nothing at all. But... something told her that it was something.