Chapter 12: a coming challenge

Location Pearl Harbor, Shinano's house

Patrick could be sitting on a couch as the news of what was happening in China was playing on the TV. Shinano was in the kitchen, seeming to be preparing some food.

Patrick sighed "seems that Yamato has made her move, and a big one at that. What do you think?"

Shinano hesitated "hard to say... I understand she's in a tough place right now. Few people have sided with her and the Azur lane is hunting her down" now she grimaced "I'd love to support her but, I don't want to risk you or our baby. If only Musashi had stuck by to support her, instead of disappearing"

"Or if Kaga was still alive"

Shinano chuckled "Yammy would've done anything Kaga had asked. And I wouldn't be surprised if the two stuck together even if the entire world was against them. It reminds me of... of..."

"Of what?" Patrick asked as he now looked at her.

"Yammy had a past love before Kaga. I remember her, Yahagi. She was a kind girl normally, though she was a closet masochist. But at the time she was the only one who could really control Yammy's actions"

"What happened to her?"

"She sank, somewhere near the coast of China. After that, Yammy started acting more like you know her. But... part of me worries that the past Yammy is returning"

"What was she like back then?"

"Sadistic, very sadistic. She enjoyed battle, especially tearing her enemies apart. But her sadism extended to be more... sexual as well. Remember Yahagi was a masochist. Yammy really only seemed to care about me, Musashi and Yahagi. She respected Nakamura, but not in the way she does now"

"You're afraid she'll turn sadistic again?"

"I think partially the reason she was sadistic was because of her past during that war. Being forced out of battles, and kept in isolation alone. She didn't trust anyone she didn't care about" now she let out a frustrated sigh "Yammy is kind, very much so. After Yahagi's sinking she'd try and cheer up other ship girls when they were depressed. Perhaps she knew what it felt like, and wanted to help. She was also very forgiving, but even her forgiveness could only go so far. I fear..." now she stopped as tears started flowing down her cheeks "that this war will turn her much worse than she was at that point before Yahagi's sinking"

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Time skip 1 hour, Location Yokosuka Naval Base

Now Commander Akihito could be seen at his desk with a computer in front of him. He was there for an emergency Azur Lane meeting on what to do. Akagi was there as it was something very important for her to see. Though their son, Ken wasn't there as he was still just a child.

Both Akagi and Akihito had grim faces as the computer moniter showed an absence of any Chinese Admirals. Though also that Commander Byrne wasn't there.

"I never liked Admiral Wei" Akihito said to Akagi, as they were "But I didn't expect him to side with Yamato"

Akagi just grimaced "perhaps he was just trying to keep face after some time"

"Perhaps" Akihito said before joining the video call.

"Ah, Good you're here, Commander Akihito" Admiral Falcon said.

"It seems everybody is already here" Admiral Nakamura said.

"Not quite" Falcon said "While no Chinese Admiral or commander can come, a representative for them will come"

"Do you know who?"