Chapter 14

Chapter 14

Dinner wasn't very pleasant. Of course I mean that I had to sit across from Richard and all he liked to do was eat and look at me. I spent dinner looking down at my plate most of the time, because I was not good with compliments. Also, because his nose was red, and I didn't really like seeing him in pain.

It still hurt. His nose I mean, still hurt. I kind of hoped nothing else hurt, while at the same time I worried about something else he might spill out of his mouth.

"Danielle?" My mother got my attention and I looked up from the spaghetti she had cooked for us. Marshall sat smiling, waiting for Richard or me to say something he could make fun of. My mother was trying to hard to make conversation.

"Yes?" She smiled, it was all plastic, because I knew she hated the fact that Richard was here. Richard, someone I would rather be with. Also, because he was a boy that was not American and probably not what she expected me to bring home.

"How was school?" I looked back down, feeling the eyes of all of them on my head. Did it matter how school went? I guess so.

"It was fine," I scratched my cheek, and continued to eat, forcing the food into my mouth so I could avoid her questions. It's not like I wanted to talk to her, or answer her questions. But I stayed anyway, just to stay.

"Richard, where do you go to school hm?" I almost thought she had forgotten his name for a minute, but hearing this, my head shot up at Richard, who I knew didn't really do to school. I wasn't allowed to tell his mother that, and I understand mothers pretty well, so I never ever said anything.

"Me mum teaches me, actually," To my shock, he was a good liar when he needed to be. I hoped he didn't lie to me, because of all the things I need, it is another liar in my life to do horrible things.

"Oh? That's nice," It wasn't nice is what she meant by that. It's never really nice.

"Yes, Dewe-er Danielle here is a good teacher," Marshall snickered slightly and my mother glared at him. She was slightly serious about this. Probably in the sense she doesn't want Richard to be in any way important to me besides being my student.

"That's lovely! She's very smart! If only she did more..." Richard tried to smile a bit at me, seeing the annoyance on my face. This was her way of telling me to do more with my life and I don't know what that means.

"Thank you mother," I rubbed my forehead and decided it was time to go. I had eaten enough of my food, and I was no longer hungry. This dinner seemed to had gone on forever and would continue to go on forever unless I left. Richard seemed done too and I knew he would follow me if I left, so I guess this was the best time.

I got up, taking my plate and throwing away all the left over food. I put it in the sink and looked back at the staring eyes, but mostly Richard's eyes. The only pair I wanted to see really.

"I'm going now," Richard stumbled to stand, having my brother snicker and my mother try so hard to not appear angry or sad I would rather be with someone else. He thanked my mother very kindly for the dinner, surprisingly, and just placed his plate on the counter, not quite sure on what to do but not willing to ask.

I walked out the front door, and he raced out after me, not sure whether to act normal, or to just fall behind me.

"I hoped I didn't seem too impolite to your mother," Richard made me sigh. Even with someone I didn't want to be around, he still had to be polite to everyone. I don't think it was a bad thing. He could be mean, at least he wasn't that. I looked at him, and those blue eyes.

"Certain shades of limelight wreck a girl's complexion," He laughed a little bit at my comment, not because it was funny, but because he didn't understand what I was telling him .