Chapter 6

Chapter 6

And now, we get to Richard. It took so long to get to him, and I wished it had come sooner. I wished he smiled a moment earlier, or had looked at me, before anything else. I do wish that, so deeply, so utterly deeply.

But don't tell him I said that, you haven't even met him yet. 

I found a kind of messenger bag in one of the few brown boxes left in my room, that I have left to be unpacked eventually. It was purple.  I took books I had bought, thick text books about different kind of maths and sciences, reading and writing. I took two notebooks and some folders. I grabbed pens and pencils and took that too. I had no idea what to expect from the nameless boy, but I took what I figured I could work with. 

School that day was terrible, with the giggling and staring. Today though, people came up to me, laughed at me, asked me why I was so strange. I don't know why I'm so strange, why don't you explain it to me. They didn't like that answer. 

 I got home, packed things up, and walked towards the address I was given. My mother finally found a job, I don't know what, maybe she stood on the corner every night, but she was out of my hair now. Out of my hair until I get home and being called out. 

I walked down the street with my bag around my shoulder and looking around at the grey sky that made everyone sad and the streets where kids without shoes played and laughed at everything that rushed by. I didn't understand their happiness. I don't have much of that anymore.

Especially since I had to wear another pair of shoes, my only other pair. 

This family lived on the other side of Liverpool, which is great because of how I really wanted to walk through this city to get to a house and a crazy family. I assumed they were crazy because of how everyone that lived there was crazy. 

I walked away, for the money, and for the maybe peace that I could get from my family, and from my life. 

The house was white, a bright white that almost seemed to stick out dramatically. I checked the number of the house and nodded to make sure I wasn't too far off from the address I as given. The house seemed very small, which didn't surprise me from what I've heard from the little conversations about this side of the town.

I walked up the sidewalk path to the front door and knocked four times. Four seemed like a nice number, so it is the number I chose. 

I waited and waited and waited some more. Then the door opened, a white door opened ,and stood there someone slightly taller than myself. He looked strangely familiar, but I couldn't put my finger on it. Hm...I don't know, I didn't know then, but I know now. 

"Hello," I looked straight into his blue eyes, bright blue eyes he had. They were strange, and they seemed tired and sad. I never have seen eyes like these, and I just kept staring, wondering what they might say to me, if he blinks enough. 

I opened my mouth to speak but I never did. The words just wouldn't come out. I couldn't utter a sound.

Elise suddenly appeared next to him, with a large smile. This was her son, and he was about an inch, taller than me, but just barely. This was Richard. 

"Richard meet Miss. Danielle Montgomery, who will be helping you out now," She smiled with the bright red lips, and Richard looked at me, and not at his mother.

"You can call me Dewey," I told him. She nodded a bit, and looked at Richard, who looked right back at my eyes. This is kind of strange, people don't look me in the eyes anymore, even if I do for them. What was he thinking?

"Dewey? Why Dewey?"

"Why not?" I shrugged a bit, that would always be my answer. He smiled at me, slightly showing his teeth and getting slight wrinkles around his mouth. It wasn't a full smile, I could tell for sure, but it was still something. It was real. Hm...