12

Lily

Lily had been sitting in the common room near the fire when James and his friends had come down the stairs from the boys' dormitory. She had seen him hug Mary, she had seen her so-called friends' beautiful dresses, she had seen James and Mary holding hands as they walked out of the common room and she had felt broken. As though her heart was made of class and someone had ripped it out and thrown it from the astronomy tower.

She had watched everyone else leave and finally she had been the only one left. She had thought that she should go to the library, but she hadn't really felt like it, so she had stayed in the common room and she had seen as people slowly started to come back.

When the portrait hole opened for a fifth time she had directly noticed James and Mary, holding hands just like before. They walked past her, without giving her a single glance. Lily could feel the tears burning in her eyes. What wouldn't she do for a simple "hi" right now?

She stood up quickly. 'Well did you enjoy it then!' she yelled at him before she could stop herself. 'Did you enjoy the wonderful ball James?!'

James turned around and looked chocked at her, as though he had never heard her raise her voice. 'Lily,' he muttered after a while. 'People are staring.'

'Well let them stare then!' Lily had never felt angrier and sadder in her whole life, because at the moment, she knew she loved James and at this very moment, she understood that it would be too late. She understood that she had done wrong, that she had been mean, but did James really need to go with Mary MacDonald of all people. The girl who at the moment was Lily's enemy.

James didn't answer, just looked around the room as though he wanted someone to help him, someone to tell him what to say to make Lily stop screaming at him, someone who could explain how the stop button worked.

'I hate you!' Lily screamed. The tears had come now, and were streaming down her cheeks. She turned around and ran out of the common room. She wanted away. Far away from James, from the ball, from all the happy couples, from everything.

James

James looked after her as she rushed out through the portrait hole. Everything had turned out so wrong. This wasn't what he wanted, not at all.

'James.' James turned around to see Remus looking at him. 'You should probably go after her,' Remus said.

James nodded. He probably should. He walked through the common room. People looked at him but just as Lily had told him, he let them stare. He walked climbed through the portrait hole and stopped outside. He had no idea where Lily had gone.

'Excuse me,' he said and turned to the fat lady. 'A girl with red hair, Lily Evans, walked through your portrait hole here just a moment ago. Did you see where she went?'

'A crying girl?' The fat lady asked curiously.

'Um... yes, probably,' James answered feeling even more mean than he had done before.

'What happened to her?'

'You know, I don't think that's your business,' James answered annoyed. 'Have you seen her or not?'

The fat lady snorted and looked up in the air. 'You won't get any friends with that tone young man,' she said angrily. 'I'll tell you where she went if you tell me why she was crying.'

James looked angrily at the portray. He could not in the world understand why she cared so bloody much. 'Why do you even want to know?' James therefor asked. 'I mean, you're a painting.'

'And you're not a very nice boy,' The fat lady snapped back. 'If you'll excuse me, I'll go visit Violet in the great hall.'

'No! I'll tell you why she was crying!' James said quickly. The fat lady looked at him with a little smile on her face. 'We... we've been fighting.'

'About what?'

'Really?'

'Ok, if you don't want to know where she went I totally under-'

'I've been mean, Ok? Now where did she go?'

'That way,' The fat lady answered and pointed towards the corridor to the right. 'See, you give a little, I give a li...'

But James didn't hear the end of her sentence, because he had already walked away towards the corridor The fat lady had pointed at. It was dark but not so dark that he felt that he should light his wand. He hadn't walked long when he could hear someone sobbing. Lily! She was walking just a few meter in front of him.

'Lily!' he said and ran up to her. 'Lily I want to talk to you.'

'Maybe I don't want to talk to you,' Lily snapped back but she didn't turn away from him, she didn't brake the eye contact.

'I'm sorry for what I did,' James said. 'I'm really really sorry, I really acted like a bloody idiot and I regret it really much, you're the only one I would have want to go to the ball with.' He looked strait into her eyes. They were so beautiful, so green and lovely.

'Yeah, it was really mean!' Lily said in a high pitched voice.

'Lily, I'm sorry,' James repeated and lay an arm on her shoulder. 'I hope that you can forgive me, but you have to understand that I only did because I was very mad at you. Because of... you know... the whole kiss thing.'

Lily nodded and wiped her eyes. 'I'm sorry too James,' she mumbled. 'It was all simply confusing. See, I've liked you, at least friend liked you, for a while, but Mary MacDonald who's been my closest friend since first year always hated you, or so I thought. She became mad whenever I would say that you really weren't that mean, and when we... kissed, I was afraid that she wouldn't want to be my friend. That's why I did what I did,' Lily explained with tears in her eyes.

'Mary seems like a bitch,' was the only thing James answered. 'A bloody idiot.'

Lily smiled weakly. 'She's got some temper, but really, she's extremely nice and I love her very much, we're just going through a rough time. But time'll pass and we'll be friends again soon, hopefully.'

James nodded. No one had anything to say any longer and the silence surrounded them, but it wasn't an awkward silence, it was a nice one. A silence that made them take one step closer to each other, and then hug. The hug explained more that all the words in the world could. The hug was simple and friendly and it asked: "will you forgive me?" at the same time as it answered: "Yes".

<<>><<>><<>><<>><<>>

Was the ending of the chapter weird? I hope you understand it:)