11

James (again)

The day of the ball was a very nervous day. At least for some people. James and Sirius were completely calm, but Peter on the other hand was deadly nervous and Remus kept going on about that he wasn't sure whether he really wanted to go, but James and Sirius wanted the whole gang to go so they had fixed so that Alice went with Peter (just as friends, since she already had a boyfriend) and Mary MacDonald had told her friend Erin to go with Remus. It took a while to convince Remus into going to the ball, but finally he agreed, just because he felt mean if he didn't go, since this Erin girl expected that the two of them should go together.

Peter and Remus had walked back to the dormitory to get ready a long time before James and Sirius and it was not until the clock was ten to eight James and Sirius came rushing in, way too late as always.

'Where's my dress robe?' Sirius asked as he started to throw out his clothes from his trunk.

'Where you put it?' Peter suggested. Sirius gave him an angry look.

'Moony! Should a dress robe look like this?' James asked Remus. His dress robe was dark red without any weird details. It was simple but still classy.

'I guess,' Remus answered and shrugged. 'I wouldn't really say that I know very much about dress robes.'

'Let's go down and meet out ladies, gentlemen,' said Sirius (who had found his robe) in a snobby, posh way.

'Certainly,' James replied in the same posh way, and they walked down to the Gryffindor common room. It was filled with people and it was hard not to bump into or collide with anyone.

'James!' Someone squeaked and the next moment Mary had thrown herself around his neck.

'Hey,' James said, feeling slightly uncomfortable. 'You... er... you look lovely today, Mary.'

She was wearing a strapless, purple dress, which was sparkling in a beautiful way and she had her hair in some sort if fancy bun on the back of her head. James would be lying if he said that she didn't look pretty, but he would much rather to have Lily standing next to him, smiling brightly.

Just a few seconds later came Ashley and Erin. Ashley was wearing a dark blue dress which was shorter in the from than in the back (whatever it's called, I hope you know what I mean) and she had her brown hair in a beautiful plate with tiny
diamond-like stones in it, which made her hair sparkle beautifully. She did look more than slightly uncomfortable in the beautiful dress, but at the same time she looked very happy.

Erin was wearing a green, long dress and her light brown hair looked a little bit more wavy than it used to.

Alice's dress was red with small sparkling stones on the skirt-part of it. She hadn't done anything with her hair. Since it was so short it was kind of hard to do anything with it actually.

In James' eyes they all looked beautiful, but he really started to regret that he had asked Mary. If he had only asked Lily instead maybe she would be standing with him in a beautiful dress and with her beautiful read hair in some sort of fancy curl. He had been so childish, he thought.

Even though he didn't really feel like it he took Mary's hand and they walked out of the common room together with Sirius, Ashley, Peter, Alice, Remus and Erin.

At first when they arrived to the great hall, Mary wanted to dance, so James danced with her, but he could absolutely not say that he enjoyed it. After a few songs complaining, Mary agreed to sit down.

Not long after that they sat down at a table Remus and Erin joined them and just a few moments later came Peter and Alice too.

'This is so fun!' Alice said happily. 'I love balls! First when I walked in here I couldn't believe I was in the great hall, it's so much more beautiful! Don't you think!'

'Where's Sirius?' James asked. He hadn't liked the ball at all so far. He really didn't enjoy his revenge to Lily, but it was way to late to regret what he had done now. He just wanted to talk to a fun person, like Sirius but Sirius wasn't there.

'I don't know,' Remus said and looked around. 'He's gone. Probably taking a walk in the moonlight with Ashley.'

'That's so adorable!' Mary said and looked dreamingly towards one of the windows. 'They're so cute together. Ooh! What if they kiss!'

'That would be so cute!' Erin piped, and the girls put their heads together and started to whisper about cuteness, Ashley and Sirius and kisses.

James rolled his eyes, Remus hid a yawn and Peter sighed, but there was no Sirius there to tell the girls that they were being way too silly for their own good. James was simply bored.

'Hey,' he interrupted the girls whispering. 'D'you guys know who Lily's going with?'

Mary gave him a suspicious glare. 'She didn't want to go,' she said shortly. 'Why?'

'Oh nothing,' James said. Inside of him it felt as though a big, happy party had begun. Lily wasn't at the ball with another hot guy. James maybe still had a little tiny chance. He was mad at her for what he had done, but he was also very tired of being mad at her.

The clock went on as always and after a while James thought that it would be Ok for him to go back to the common room.

'Let's go, I'm tired of this ball,' he said and yawned.

Mary looked at him as though she didn't really agree on that going back to the common room was a good idea, because she was having the time of her life, but she still said "ok" and they walked out of the great hall, together with Remus, Erin, Alice and Peter.