20

Lily

It was morning and on her way down to the great hall Lily met Ashley. She smiled happily as Ashley joined her and they started to make their way down the stairs together.

'It's weird,' Ashley said as they reached a painting of a particularly ugly wizard who was riding an ancient broomstick. 'I never feel that sleepy at nights but yesterday, after dinner it was as though I could fall asleep in a second you know.'

'Hmm,' Lily said. 'Well, it's probably James or Sirius.'

'What d'you mean?' Ashley wanted to know directly. 'What did they do?'

'Well, James was talking about this kind of sleeping thing he brought at Zonko's ages ago, and he really wanted to try it so... well... yeah.'

'I'm so gonna kill him,' Ashley muttered under her breath. 'Cone on Lily! Revenge plotting time.'

'No way,' Lily said with a laugh.

Ashley looked disappointed. 'Not even a little jinx on his breakfast so that his ears turn green for the rest of the day? Or we could give him a permanent mustache. That would be macho, don't you think?'

'Surprisingly I don't,' Lily said and grinned. 'No revenge.'

'You're so boring, Lily,' Ashley groaned. 'So, did anything special happen last night? Something that I missed because of James stupid Potter?'

'No,' said Lily, way too quickly, blushing furiously. She always did when she lied.

Ashley rose an eyebrow. 'Really?' she asked skeptically. 'I'm not sure I believe you. What happened Lily?'

Lily blushed even more. James had told her not to tell anyone because Remus didn't want the whole school to know, but at the same time, Ashley was close friend with the marauders. Didn't she have the right to know?

'Well, there was this thing with Remus. See, he's got a very uncommon disease,' Lily said very quickly, wishing that Ashley wouldn't hear, though she wasn't very lucky.

'A disease?' Ashley asked, sounding surprised. 'What kind of disease, is it dangerous?'

Lily scratched her neck and looked around, as though looking for someone to help her. 'Well, I promised not to tell anyone,' she said, a bit slower, 'but maybe if you don't say a thing about it. Not to Sirius, not to James, not to Remus not to anyone, then maybe I can tell you. Do you promise?'

'I promise,' Ashley said quickly, her voice boiling over with curiousness. 'I won't tell a sole, and if I do, I give you the permission to kill me. Maybe.'

'Remus' a werewolf,' Lily whispered and bit her lip, thinking that maybe it was bad of her to tell Ashley, but at the same time Lily knew that she could trust her.

'A werewolf?' Ashley's eyes grew big for a moment then her normal facial expression was back. 'So,' she said causally, 'You hungry?'

Lily was surprised over how easily Ashley had taken in the news. Lily herself was still a bit chocked. But she was very happy that it had been so easy for Ashley, because now she could be completely sure that Ashley wouldn't tell anyone.

They reached the great hall and saw the marauders sitting at the edge of the table, but just as they reached them, James stood up and rushed out of the great hall, leaving a piece of parchment behind him.

Lily sat down opposite to Remus with Ashley next to her. 'What was that about?' she asked confused.

The boys didn't answer. They had all grabbed for the parchment and was now reading quickly.

'Oh,' was the only thing Remus said as they put down the letter.

Sirius looked simply shocked. He was in lost for words, just staring at the letter.

'What is it?' Ashley asked, sounding just as confused as Lily felt. 'What's happened?'

'His... James dad... James dad's dead. And his mum at st. Mungus,' Remus said breathlessly. 'We should go find him.'

Lily nodded and they all left the hall together. Sirius still didn't say anything, which was odd, because it was usually hard to keep his mouth shut, but now, he only stared with a shocked expression on his face.

'He's lived with the Potter's for about one and a half year now,' Remus explained to Lily and Ashley in a whisper. 'Since he hasn't a very good relation with his own parents. Oh, Merlin, James must be devastated. He and his dad was very close.'

They reached the Gryffindor tower and climbed through the portrait hole. They hurried up the stairs to the boys dormitory, opened the door and walked in.

James was standing by the window, staring out of it with a blank expression on his face, tears were rolling down his cheeks.

Lily walked up to him, very slowly and very carefully, as though a single quick movement would make him explode, and stopped next to him.

'James?' Lily whispered, very quietly, after a while. 'James I'm very, very sorry.' She put an arm around him. She didn't look at him, she only stood there together with the boy that she loved, the boy who at the moment was feeling as though his insides were ripped out of him, as though life didn't have any meaning any longer.

'James, it'll all be Ok,' Sirius said. James turned around quickly.

'No it won't!' he yelled. 'He's dead! He'll never be ok again! You don't understand how I feel Sirius! You'll never do, because you hate your family! I love my! And now he's dead! HE'S DEAD!'

James silent crying had turned into lout sobs. He was shaking, crying, feeling that his world was over. Lily didn't understand. She had no clue how it felt when the one you love so much simply, dies, disappear away from everything. All she knew was that she wanted to make James feel better, but she didn't know how, because she didn't know how he felt.

'You... you're right James,' Sirius said. 'I'm really sorry, I have no idea how you feel.

'I... I'm just so afraid,' James mumbled. 'Wha... what if sh... she dies too, mum, I mean.'

Lily put her head against James shoulder. He wasn't crying loudly anymore. Once again silent tears fell down his cheeks. 'Then you'll always have us,' she whispered.

<<>>><<<>>><<<>>
I hope this chapter wasn't bad because I didn't really know how to end it or how to write it or anything, but I really thought that someone had to die. So I killed James' dad. How very nice of me.

(Also, this was written before JK Rowling had posted the text about the potter family on pottermore, so when I wrote this I didn't know that James' dad (and mum) died after he had married Lily)

Please tell me whether you liked it or not:)