18

James

It was a really wonderful day, the ideal day for a date. James messed up his hair nervously over and over again. He couldn't deny that he was nervous, very nervous, because today was the day when he and Lily would go to Hogsmeade together, something that James had been longing for for ages.

'Hey James,' someone said from behind him.

James turned around quickly and saw Ashley smiling at him. 'Hi,' he said and smiled back.

'So,' Ashley said and sat down in an armchair. 'Where are the others?'

'I think they're in the dorm,' James said and looked past Ashley, up the stairs to the girls' dormitories. 'You can go up to them if you want to, I don't think that they're naked, but of course I can't be sure.'

'So... er... they use to be naked or...'

'No, no,' James assured her. 'I promise you Ashley, the we don't use to run around naked in our dorm. All I'm saying is that I can't promise you that they all have clothes on, though I think they have.'

'You know, I think I'll pass,' Ashley said and grinned. 'Hey Lily!'

James turned around again and saw Lily standing behind him. She was smiling happily. She looked beautiful.

'Hi, James,' she said nervously, 'er... shall we go or...'

'Yeah, of course,' James said and smiled widely, thinking that he wouldn't let anything ruin this day, because this was the day he had waited for, for so long.

'So,' Lily said, once they were out in the fresh air, 'Are you feeling ok now, I mean, after the fall and everything.'

'No,' James sighed. Lily looked surprised at him, "no" did not seem to be the answer she had expected. 'I feel embarrassed,' he continued. 'See, I'm James freaking Potter, and I don't fall of my broom. Now, on my first match as captain I did. You understand why I feel embarrassed, right?'

'No,' Lily said truthfully and grinned. 'I think you're being silly. Except from the embarrassment, do you feel good?'

'Completely splendid,' James answered. 'Now let's talk about something else.'

'Ok,' Lily said and thought for a moment. 'What are you planning to do when you get out of Hogwarts?'

'I'll start auror training,' James said causally.

'Then you need really good grades,' Lily pointed out.

'Lily, I've got good grades. What did you think? That I failed every subject?'

Lily blushed. 'What do you want to do first?' she asked to change the subject. 'In Hogsmeade I mean.'

'Whatever you want to do, Lily Flower,' James said in a very flirty voice, making Lily blush even redder.

'Maybe we can go to the three broomsticks,' Lily suggested, wishing that she would just stop blushing.

James grinned and took her hand. 'Sure,' he said.

Normally, Lily would hate James for holding her hand, normally she would have told him off angrily, but now, she didn't. His hand was warm and soft, and she felt that she never ever would want to let go of it.

James opened the door to the three broomsticks and they walked in to the warm pub. James saw Sirius, Ashley, Remus and Peter in the front, talking to madam Rosmerta. Well, actually, it was mostly Sirius who talked, making Rosmerta laugh. Ashley sat next to him, looking fairly bored, playing with her wand. Remus was talking to Peter about something, but Peter didn't seem to listen, he wasn't even looking at Remus, but Remus obviously didn't care.

'Come,' James said to Lily dragging her to the other edge of the bar, 'Let's sit down here, I'll get our butterbeers.'

Lily sat down and James walked through the pub to the counter to get their orders.

'Hey, Prongs!'

James turned around. 'What Paddy?' he asked and grinned. 'You miss me?'

'Totally,' Sirius answered, not sounding as though he really meant it. 'So, how's your date going? She's left you yet?'

'No,' James answered. 'No she hasn't, and it's going very well, thank you very much. Well, see you guys later!'

He got his and Lily's butterbeers and walked back to the table where she sat waiting.

They talked for hours, even if it only felt like minutes, and James felt it as though it was the best day of his life. They visited lots of stores, but didn't buy very much, the simply had a great time, just walking there, talking and laughing, and James wished that the day would never end.

But just as all days, it finally darkened and they hand to walk back to the castle. Just before the entrance they stopped.

They just stood there, looking at each other. Lily's green eyes met James' hazel, and for a moment, James thought that she would kiss him, and she seemed to understand that, because she smiled and said, 'You want a kiss James?'

James felt himself go red.

'You have to learn to take your own initiatives. If you don't you won't get anywhere in your -'

But James would never hear the end of that sentience, because he kissed her, and it was simply wonderful.