XI

It was a bloodbath.

The twins laid limply on the floor, their lips turned up in sewn smiles as a bloodied needle still hung from Spice's fingertips. Their arms and legs had dozens of puncture wounds, small pieces of thread still decorating them.

Marcia felt like she was going to be sick. She backed up against Anetra's chest with a whimper. "A-Anetra..."

"Oh my God..." Anetra stepped into the room looking down at the two girls in shock. "They're still breathing. Go get help."

Marcia nodded quickly, running towards the stairs to get to the school offices as fast as she could despite her shock. She knew Sugar and Spice didn't like her and seemingly wouldn't hesitate to hurt her, but she never wanted or expected to see them that way. At least not in a way that looked self inflicted.

Anetra stayed back to try to get any sort of response from the two girls. She may not care for them, but she didn't want to see them in this condition. "Sugar? Spice?" She nudged each of them, her panic growing. "This is a prank, right? To scare Marcia?"

Sugar's eyes fluttered open just a bit. Her breath was shallow, and she stared at Anetra with glossy and pain filled eyes. "Mama..." She whimpered out so quietly that the other girl hardly heard her.

Spice was completely out, the only sign of life from her being the slow movement of her chest. It wasn't much, but she was breathing. And Anetra had to make sure her and her sister didn't stop.

She kneeled down between them, too afraid to touch them but wanting them to at least know someone was there. She waited for Marcia to bring back help, only looking up when there was a shadow in the doorway.

Jax stared down at her with a concerned expression, but she didn't seem to be surprised as she fidgeted with a folded up paper in her hands. She moved away when help finally arrived, just standing and watching from the corridor. Anetra moved out of the way, and Marcia quickly rushed back to her arms and hid her face against her chest so she wouldn't have to see the mess.

The commotion got the attention of the other girls in the surrounding rooms. Irene stepped out of her room where she had been taking care of a now sick Luxx, staring wide eyed down the hall at the people who were entering the twins' room. "...What happened?"

Anetra took Marcia's hand to guide her away, not wanting her to see the bloodied bodies of the two girls being taken out of the room. "I don't know..." Anetra answered quietly, glancing over her shoulder. She shivered. Those were going to be images she wouldn't get out of her head for a long time.

Jax watched as the girls were taken out of the room. She didn't like them either, but that wasn't the sort of state she ever wanted to see them in. She had a very strong feeling that she knew what was causing it. She just wasn't able to communicate it very well. Even if she could, she highly doubted any of the adults at the school would really believe her. All they did was push away any theories that anyone had about the place.

But Jax had seen the twins deteriorate for almost four years now. And there was only one possible reason why in her mind.

She followed Anetra once Irene had closed her door again. She didn't want to deal with facing her right now. She caught up to the other girl before she could get to their room, tugging on her arm.

Anetra turned to look down at her, still holding onto Marcia's hand. "What is it?"

Jax held the paper she had written on up to her, hoping she would understand. The taller girl took it and read it over with a tilted head.

"Folie à deux?" She read aloud before looking back down at her friend. "Madness of two? That's a delusional disorder, isn't it?"

Jax nodded, wishing she was able to explain more thoroughly. She was about to find a pen to try to write more of her thoughts onto the paper before Marcia spoke up in a scared tone.