Chapter 27

Cillian noticed right away how the mood around him changed when he entered the council meeting hall. Every one of the 100 other representatives, besides Ryder, Aspen and himself were already seated and waiting for them. The council meeting hall was a large auditorium with plenary seating. Besides for the council meeting sessions it was also used for larger legal hearings or other assemblies. Ryder and Aspen went to take their seats in one of the sections, while Cillian went to his spot in the front of the hall next to Elder Anderson, who was the moderator in these full assembly meetings. Erik took his place behind them for taking notes.

"Hello Elder Anderson," Cillian greeted him with a nod.

"Head Alpha." The old shifter's usually kind voice was serious. 

Cillian was sure that Elder Anderson had not been on the receiving end of his temper today, but since he had offended several of the other's friends and acquaintances, it wasn't a surprise that the greeting was colder than usual.

"My apologies for letting you wait," Cillian said. 

He wasn't one to explain himself, but today it felt crucial to do as little damage as possible anymore. Elder Anderson nodded in acceptance.

"We will survive the delay. Even though several representatives are getting very impatient."

"Then let's not make them wait any longer," Cillian said and got up to address the room.

"Good afternoon council representatives. Thank you for joining today's session and also thank you for waiting. There were some important issues that required my immediate attention. Elder Anderson will present the agenda for today."

Cillian sat back down and opened the folder on his desk, containing the documents for this session, while Elder Anderson spoke. The meeting progressed as usual. Several topics were brought forward and discussed, from the request to make more funds available for the LE to assist with rogue problems in the west of the country to debating proposed amendments to the legislation concerning minor shifters to talking about the upcoming Warrior Olympics. 

The monthly full assembly was, like every time, very diverse in topics and opinions. Therefore, it was a normal occurrence that discussion went on over their allotted time slot and it often fell to Cillian to reign in discussions. Right now the discussion has been on the governing of Silverlines pack. Someone from the traditionalists had brought forward the motion to have a new vote, arguing that since Cillian would be on paper the decision maker for the pack and as he was now tied personally to the pack due to Noralie that this would result in a shift of power in favor of Rougefork pack. While Cillian had said that he had no interest in incorporating Silverlines into his pack structure, he had tried to keep out of the discussion because he felt that almost anything that he would say could be interpreted wrongly. 

The skeptics were right, this situation was highly unusual and until Noralie signed over her rights officially the decision could be appealed. Cillian hoped it didn't come to it and was counting on running out of time for this topic before someone would officially put the motion forward. When the allocated time was up and Alpha Bertram and Alpha Lincoln were still arguing, Bertram for and Lincoln against a new vote, Cillian went in between.

"Gentlemen, as important as this topic is, unfortunately, we're out of time. We still have two more items on the agenda which require our attention," Cillian said in a strong voice.

"We would have more time, if you hadn't been late for the meeting, Head Alpha," Alpha Bertram argued back. 

Cillian had expected that the Bloodstone alpha would comment on his delay at one point or another. Alpha Bertram had often hinted that Cillian didn't treat his position with the needed respect.