Chapter 3

When Noralie woke up the next morning, she felt more rested than she'd been in a long time. The nightmares that normally plagued her, had not made an appearance. She had felt so safe next to Cillian that she had slept the whole night through, well, after they had stopped making out on the bed. They had both had trouble keeping their hands and lips to themselves, even after getting into bed. Noralie blushed remembering the previous evening. She was happy that Cillian hadn't let things escalate, in retrospect she wouldn't have been ready.

"Good morning, kitten", she heard Cillian's sleepy voice next to her. She looked up blushing. It seemed blushing was all she did around him. He looked hot with his dark, short hair mussed up and a slight shadow of a beard.

"Morning."

"What time is it?"

She turned her head to see the numbers on the clock.

"Six."

Cillian groaned. "Why are you awake already?"

"I need to go to help with breakfast", Noralie explained. She had slacked on her duties already yesterday.

"Why?"

Noralie looked at Cillian questioningly. Thinking back, she hadn't told her mate much about herself. They had been busy with other things.

"It's one of my tasks", she said. "I help in the household."

"Okay, but you're also my mate now and we'll leave this afternoon. And while I admire your diligence, it's time to hand over your tasks", Cillian tried to reason with her. He had a point. And he called her 'his mate' once again, which caused a storm of butterflies to swirl in her stomach.

"I guess I can do that after breakfast", she nodded but still got up. Her sense of duty not letting her stay in bed any longer.

"You're still going to the kitchen?" Cillian asked.

"Yes, I don't want to leave the others hanging", she tried to explain.

Cillian nodded. "I'll come with you." He got up as well.

"What?" Noralie stopped in her tracks.
"I'll help you and then we can have breakfast together."

"NO! I mean, you're the Head Alpha, our guest. I can't let you work!" The kitchen staff would go crazy if Cillian showed up there trying to help cook.

"Why not? I told you yesterday that we're equal, so if you cook then I can cook as well. Admittedly, I haven't cooked in a while but I'm sure I can chop some vegetables or make coffee or so."

Noralie realized that he was serious about helping her, but it didn't sit well with her.

"Don't you have other tasks to do?" She tried a different approach. He had told her yesterday about his work and his duties as alpha and for the council. It seemed like a lot.

"Yes, but I -"

"How about this," Noralie cut him off. "We'll make coffee together and then you take your laptop and answer emails and such, and I continue with breakfast. Please!" She gave him her best puppy eyes.

"Kitten, I get the feeling that you don't want my help. But okay, I accept your deal", Cillian winked at her, making her heart race.