Chapter 18

“The wind is getting too strong, we must seek Shelter!” Saki called out as the horses struggled through the icy wind of the snowy mountains. Raphael whined huddling close to his father’s chest for some warmth. The four assassins moved to block Saki in to keep the wind out. Saki could only smile at their attempt to help him keep his son warm, thankfully a bit of luck was on their side as he noticed a cave hidden via the mountain. 

“This way!” Saki called out racing his horse towards shelter, he was sure he heard a curse from Aria but no sooner did he tie his horse to a nearby old structure within the cave, he entered only to gasp. It was an ancient cave with old drawings carved and marked into the walls. Raphael whined gaining his father’s attention as Liam instructed Don to start a fire, the assassin was quick to do so and remove their spare blankets from their packs to warm up. Aria stayed on guard by the cave entrance leaving the brothers to sit around with Saki. 

“Blue!” Raphael cried out reaching for the eldest assassin who looked at Saki for permission, the older man just nodded wearing a thoughtful expression. Soon enough Raphael was in Liam’s arms and playing with his mask. 

“I do not understand,” Saki thought out-loud, gaining their attention. 

“What don’t you understand?” Don asked, removing his gloves to allow him to warm up his hands. 

“Raphael, normally doesn’t go anywhere near strangers but it's almost like, he has met you before” Saki explained his thought as he watched his son toddle over to Michael who welcomed him into his arms. “Just who are you?” Saki asked. The question caught Arai’s attention. “We are siblings” Michael answered like it would make any sense. Saki could only nod, “Dantzer mentioned you could see the future, is that because you are from the future?”. The sentence led to silence in the cave, the only sound was Raphael who was running in circles around Don. 

“I’m gathering from your silence, you are. Which is why I will not ask any questions or tell you to remove your helmets. I’m gathering you all are a big part of Raphael’s life?” All four heads nodded so Saki continued, “I must inform you of something if you don’t already know, Raphael has these dreams which we believe are visions and every time he wakes up screaming. I know they must be bad because I have connected a few times and everytime all I see are three colours”. Saki looked at Raphael who only giggled hiding under Don’s cloak and playing peekaboo with Aria who was trying her best to ignore the child. 

“Blue, Purple and Orange” Liam spoke the words into the fire as Saki nodded, “You have to understand everything happens for a reason but the truth does come out eventually. Trust me” Liam finished looking at Saki who only nodded pulling his yawning son close. 

Saki settled down knowing he was in safe company but it was only a light doze as Michael added more wood to the fire. The youngest assassin took notice of the way Aria stood at the entrance of the cave, always on watch. 

Once Liam was sure Saki was asleep, he turned to his siblings. "How long have we got left, Don?". 

"We can only remain here for three more days. We must complete our task by then otherwise we will vanish out of this time and back in the present. I know you're worried Liam but we all know Raph will be fine" Done reassured his big brother, settling down to get his own sleep. They would be moving in a few hours. Michael snuggled into Don who welcomed him close leaving Aria and Liam on watch. The two were obviously not going to sleep. 

"Liam, are you sure about this?" Aria asked, pointing at the one who ruined her life and Raphael. 

"Aria, you have to remember this is way before the 'incident'. We must keep to the timeline or we risk everything" Liam said, looking back at the sleeping father and son. Aria could only turn her back on Liam who sighed.