C H A P T E R F I F T E E N

John had dropped her off at the family house. Where Polly was stressing while putting a kettle of water on the stove. 'Polly what's going on?' Franny asked her. 'The guns.' Polly said while lighting a cigarette. Franny let her head down.

'Tommy.. Did they find them?' she said down at the table. Polly just nodded. 'Fuck.' After shit had calmed down a little and both Polly and Franny were drinking a cup of tea.

Arthur came inside. 'Where's your father?' Polly asked. 'I'm assuming he's frittering away the ... ' Polly looked at Franny. 'How much was it?' '500' Franny answered.

'the 500 you took from us. And put into his thieving, whore-groping hands.' Polly said looking up from the paper she had been reading. 'What were you thinking?' Polly said throwing the paper on the table. 'How dare you do something like that without talking to Thomas or me?' Polly spat.

Arthur stood there like a lost puppy. Franny felt sorry for him. He really thought he could trust his father. 'Does Tommy know?' Arthur asked. Polly didn't say a word and opened the paper again. 'No. I didn't tell him did you?' Polly asked Franny. 'No.' Franny answered drinking from her tea. 'But you're going to tell him.' Polly added. Arthur stood there for a while and then left.

'Damn I've never seen him that beaten since the war.' Franny said while finishing her cup of tea. After a while the both of them were smoking cigarettes and drinking rum. When suddenly the door got broken down by the police. They were looking for Thomas. The both of them were not even looking up. 'He's not here.' Polly said getting another cup of tea. 'He doesn't tell us where he goes.' Franny added lighting another cigarette. After they checked everywhere and making the place a mess they left. To which they started cleaning the mess up.

It was late when John came back with Finn. The both of them wished them goodnight and went home themselves. Payed the babysitter and went to bed. When the both of them were laying in bed and Franny had snuggled herself against John. They were silent for a while before John started to speak. 'You know.. everything is getting more clear now. Tommy showed me a new business card.' He said picking something up from his nightstand. 'John it's dark' Franny said when he wanted to show her the card.

But he fastly took his matches and gave her the card. He lit a match and it took Franny a second to read what was written on the card. 'Shelby Brothers limited.' Franny said. 'John Shelby associate bookmaker.' She was silent for a while. 'Oh my god John!' she said. He put out the match and Franny jumped back in his arms. 'We're going legit.' he said proudly. Franny kissed him before they both proudly and happily fell asleep.

The next days they were all working hard making sure the next races were all going fine. Lot's of people were betting and even more new faces came around the corner. It was hard work and long days but Franny did it happily. John had gone by her father to ask for her hand. Her father had set him down for a cup of tea. And actually told him he was hoping it was him. Franny was over the moon when he told her and they broke it down to the kids that auntie Fran was going to me mommy Fran. The six of them were all so happy. It was like living on a pink cloud.

So when it was an early morning and the kids were starting to stir. John and Franny were at it again. The bed was squeaking and the both of them were trying to keep their moans together. Franny had her harms intertwined with the frame of the bed to try to keep it from squeaking and John was throwing a leg on her shoulder when