C H A P T E R E I G H T

the betting shop has been crazier than ever. It was booming, people heard the Peaky Blinders had shown up at the races. And there were suspicious rumors about them racing themselves. Probably rumors they threw in themselves. But it was great for business so Franny didn't mind. Thomas was a good guy.

After the whole Kimber situation, he brought her to their house and let her bathe. They threw away her red dress so she didn't have to look at it again. And Thomas sincerely apologized for everything. Franny couldn't sleep. She couldn't get Kimber's face out of her head. So the earliest she could she stepped out of bed and scrubbed herself to feel clean. And she dressed. Grabbed a quick breakfast and went to the betting shop.

She got a key to the Shelby house and entered. There was no one up yet, and she started making tea and cleaning up the betting shop. It didn't take long before the door opened. It was Monday after race day. So John was early too. He hung up his coat and poured himself a glass of Whiskey while walking down to his desk. Franny wasn't really an early-morning person so he hadn't noticed she had been in the back counting the money in the safe. And when he came in the back to look at something he saw the door of the safe open. She heard a gun cock and she knew it was him.

'It's me put that bloody thing away.' she said. Franny was holding a notebook where she counted the money stacks in. When John came in. He smirked and she knew he was coming up with a snarky comment to her. 'To bad you are not wearing your dress anymore you looked great.' he said his signature smirk on his face. To which Franny froze.

She knew John had taken a liking to that dress he told her multiple times she looked great. But it didn't even exist anymore Thomas and she set it on fire. He told her it was an old Gypsy tradition to burn something so you can feel free again or something. Franny didn't say anything for thirty seconds before turning around. 'No, I'm sorry I know you liked that dress.' she said with a weak smile.

She closed the notebook in front of his face and shooed him out of the safe so she could lock it again. She walked away from John when she heard the kettle of water she had put on the stove whistling. John stood there looking after her. He knew there was something wrong with her but he couldn't place what it was. John was going to ask Thomas about it and he walked back to his desk lighting a cigarette.

Later that week John walked into the Garrison. Kids were in bed and Polly was watching over them so he could go get a drink. Normally Franny wouldn't mind looking after the kids, but he couldn't get a hold of her. He directly walked over to their own small room in the Garrison when he saw Franny sitting in front of Grace at the bar throwing back a whiskey. John blinked a few times and looking in the room where they usually sat. There was no one there. Which was rather odd to him. He walked up to Franny and turned her around to face him.

'Fran are you okay?' He asked her. 'Am I okay? Are you okay Johnny boy' Franny said while poking his nose. He rolled his eyes. 'How much did you give her?' John asked Grace. 'I think she had six now.' Grace said pouring someone else a pint. 'Six?' John looked at Franny in disbelief. 'You usually can handle way more.' He said looking in her eyes. To which Franny started smirking and jumped of the barstool.

'I can.. just watch me.' She said with a smile and she walked a straight line towards the backroom where the Shelby's usually sat. 'Was she just bloody fucking with me?' John asked Grace in disbelief. 'I think so.' Grace said with a small smile before giving him a bottle of Irish whiskey and serving another customer. John closed the door. Franny sat on the couch looking outside. 'Fran. Are you all right?' John asked as he sat down opposite of her. She didn't respond. 'Fran.. I'm serious I don't like this.' He said a bit more stern now. Franny still didn't look at him.