C H A P T E R O N E

It was Birmingham, 1919.Not even a year after the first world war.Everything was in ruins.All the men who had fought in the war have come back.But not without any battle scars.Some have become amputees or have horrible scars. Others have PTSD.

The working class has hit a huge dent. But not for the Shelby Family. They are bigger than they used to be. And all the sons except for Finn because he was way too young, are war heroes. It was early morning. Still dark out when Franny woke up and got up out of bed. She washed and clothed herself. Her Father was already out. A big writer for the newspaper. Always on the job. And hoping she would follow in his footsteps.

She came downstairs to their small home in the center of Birmingham. Wearing a long darkgreen pencil skirt, a white blouse on top of it with the same color green waistcoat.When she was putting on her coat, the front door opened and her dad came in.
'Goodmorning my sun.' Her father said kissing her forehead. 'You're home early.' Franny said as she looked at her hair in the small mirror to see if it was decent. Her long hair she had tied back in braids to come together in a bun on the back of her head. 'Yeah there is this great story about a secret shipment to Birmingham.' Her father said walking to the kitchen and taking a cup of coffee. 'You're off to work then?' He asked and was sticking his head around the corner.'I am daddy, have a nice day.' Franny said with a smile and she took her bag and went outside. Franny was working an office job. Counting money, keeping and monitoring appointments.

She was hired in the war, the business was usually run by men. But now the woman who were working there did everything and they could use a hand.And by the time the man came back she was one of the woman there, and they couldn't and wouldn't let her go.
'Morning Miss Corbynn.' A few people greeted her on the street and she kindly greeted them back.She knocked on the door of her work where it almost immediately got opened.'Morning Fran.' The not so happy morning voice of her best friend sounded.' 'Morning Ada.Morning Finn!' Franny said with a smile walking over to the 10 year old.
Franny was hanging up her coat and then walked to the cabinet and picked out a key.She opened a huge door and inside of there were desks as far as the room would go. Papers, typing machines, Books were lying around everywhere.Franny let out a sigh before starting to organize a few desks. Ada came back in bringing her a cup of coffee. 'I'm sorry... it was late last night.' She said with a weak smile.

A smirk was starting to appear on Franny's face.

'It? or do you mean..' But before Franny could finish her sentence a door got slammed open and the both of them got startled.'Goodmorning girls.' A loud voice sounded.'Morning Arthur.' The both of them said.

Ada was looking at Franny making sure she would not say anything. Ada and Franny have been best friends for as long as they could remember.  Arthur made way to the office with a glass of Whiskey out of the kitchen. And pulled out a huge book which he threw on the table.Franny had started collecting all the cups and glasses she could find and brought them to the kitchen.She quickly washed them.The company she worked for didn't have a maid so she quickly did it herself.Most of the men working here were like pigs would drink each others spit before washing off a glass to drink from.
When she was done cleaning up the mess she walked over to the office. They went over the plans for today. Today was betting day, a huge day in this company.The Shelby family had a company where you could bet on the races, horse races.And even starting to get horses for the races themselves.
Arthur the oldest one of the Shelby Family, was the head of the books he kept everything in check, and people in check.Then came Thomas, he was the head of the family after the war he took on the dirty side of the job.John comes after. He writes down the bets and keep track on what the bets are doing. Ada their sister was quite on the downside of the company her and her Aunt Polly were keeping the business on track when the boys went to war together with Franny.But now that they were back she took a step back and wanted to enjoy her life a little more. Then came Finn the youngest. He was just ten and not involved in any way at all.
Their Aunt Polly kept everything together she did the finances and kept track on everything what went in and out of the safe.Franny did everything around it. She helped wherever she could and made sure everything kept clean and no one was making any messes.Smart as a whip she corrected finance mistakes when people payed up for their bets.She kept Arthur her temper in tone. And tried to keep Thomas and John from causing trouble.
People started to come in to take place at their stations to collects bets. And in came John. Franny came out of Arthur's office she was carrying the big heavy book where they wrote everything in.Every bet and every penny that went in with it. She hadn't seen John yet and walked over to the huge chalkboard where they kept the book. The only thing Franny hadn't seen was the chair behind the desk John usually sits in was pulled back and she tripped herself. She heard the book tumble to the ground and closed her eyes for the impact she would make on the hard wooden floor. But instead she felt and arm gripping hers and pulling her back up.'Goodmorning to you to Fran.' John familiar voice sounded a smirk on his face. Her face changed color to a rosy blush.
'Gee Thanks John.' she said while rolling her eyes she wanted to pick up the book but John was faster.'Damn rolling your eyes at me at 6:30 in the morning.' John shot back dropping the book on the table. The both of them let out a mutual snort before opening the book and John telling his predictions to Franny.She was quite close to the whole Family.Ada specifically but John was a close second. He was kind and funny, and wanted to explain everything to her. After a few minutes a bell was heard. It was Arthur.
'Everyone listen up!Today is a big day, lets keep our focus and make this a good day for all of us!' He proudly spoke. John stood there with a big smirk.And Franny walked over to the big door unlocking it with the key she had around her necklace. She shoved open the door and their was already a line waiting to place their bets before they were going off to work.Franny walked back to the kitchen and poured a few glasses of whiskey. To keep the bet makers happy. She served them all a glass and as final she walked up to John who was already focussing on writing everything down. Franny put down the glass and was about to walk back to her station when he looked up and thanked her with a smile only John Shelby could give.
'Fran!' It suddenly sounded it was Ada. She moved over to the other side of the office and closed the door behind her. 'What's happening Ada?' She asked putting down the tray she had been using. 'Your father is here.' Ada said pointing to the back.Franny frowned but walked back to see her father standing at the door. 'I thought you were going to bed?' She asked him with a small smile. 'I only wish, but a little bird told me something I think you should know.' He told her.'They have seen Tommy with Meaghan Boy at Garrison Courts.' He said.
'So?' Franny said crossing her arms. 'he was doing the powder trick with some Chinese woman.' Franny her eyebrow was raising.'You need to talk to Arthur right now come.' Franny said pulling her father down with her.'Wait wait. I cannot be seen in a betting place.' Her father said stopping in his tracks. 'I came to warn, you need to tell him yourself.' Franny waited a few seconds before nodding.'Thanks for telling me, I will talk with Arthur.You're going to bed now I hope?' She asked her dad. He nodded and kissed her forehead. 'See you tonight Sun.' he said before putting on his hat and walking out of the Shelby house.
Fran came back to the kitchen were Ada was making breakfast for Finn. 'Something important?' Ada asked.'Something stupid.' Fran said while rolling her eyes and she pushed open the doors to the office and barged straight into Arthur's office. She already noticed that it was far busier than usual. And she thought to herself that Thomas might have done something incredibly smart, or something horribly stupid. And she was oh so true. Arthur was furious and when she came out of the office she could hear a glass splatter against a wall.
She made a fast visit to John with the books who was as busy as always making bets and putting them up on the board.He was enthusiastic and that made Franny smile.It was a good day, and she started to feel that Thomas might have made a smarter move than she had anticipated.She walked over to John.'Why's he so mad this time?' John asked. A cigarette' between his fingers. 'I'll tell you but no one can hear or know.' Franny said looking at him with a side eye. John smirked. 'I love those rumours.' He said, he stood up and grabbed Franny by her wrists he pushed her up against the wall of the office and burried his face in her neck.
'Speak.' He told her. For the people around this was nothing new.John's wife died leaving him with the kids. He was known for rummaging around with the whores in the town.But people were speculating there might be more between him and Franny. So they happily used those speculations to their advantage. No one would think the only reason he would push up her against the wall was because they were exchanging rumours no one was supposed to hear.
'Tommy brought Meaghan Boy to Garrison Courts to do the powder trick.' Franny whispered. 'So that's why were overloading in bets.' John caught up. He looked up to face her.'What do you think?' He asked her for her insight.Arthur never did that. Thomas understood she was smart as a whip but it was mostly not in his favor. And John actually thought her opinion was important. 'Well.' She escaped his death grip and walked over to the book showing all the bets that were placed.
And she raised her eyebrow. To which John smirked.And lit up another cigarette. When Franny walked back to get a bottle of whiskey to fill everyone in again. As she reached the back she saw Finn sitting in front of the wood burning stove. The doors went open and Thomas walked in. 'Finn what do I smell?' Franny then asked she saw him putting away a cigarette.'Finn!' she said putting her hands in her sides.
Thomas walked into the room and sat down next to Finn throwing the cigarette in the stove.' Arthur's mad as hell.' Finn said.To which Franny bit her lip and took the bottle of whiskey in her hand.'What does a ten year old know about hell ey?' Thomas said to him while slapping him playfully with his hat.'I'm eleven sunday .' Finn argued. Thomas stood up and let out a chuckle when he met the gaze off Franny.'Mad as hell?' He said looking at her.'Mad as hell.' Franny acknowledged.
To which he opened the doors to the office. Franny was right behind him filling all the glasses with another pour of whiskey.John was happy to see Thomas and let him see all the bets. Before Arthur came out of his office and called Thomas in.There was arguing and talking in the office and Franny rolled her eyes.The betting's were closing down and she started to collect the money and brought it to the vault. When she came back up. Thomas was already gone and John was making himself ready to get going.
'Meet you at the Garrison tonight?' To which Franny rolled her eyes.'What else would I be doing.' she said mockingly. 'Arthur I'll be going now yes?' Franny said knocking on his office door he just nodded.When she came back to the house to collect her thingsJohn was already waiting with her coat.
'Such a gentleman.' She said with a smirk.'Who would have thought you were a peaky blinder.' Franny said as she slipped into her coat.When they walked outside and out of the alleyway a gun was heard loading.And it was pointed straight at Johns head.Franny stood still when she heard a familiar voice.'Look at the gun.'
Which he did and suddenly he got a smack on his face making him fall down.Making Franny snort trying to hold it together.'Aunt Pol?! What the fuck did you do that for??' John said whining.'Finn was playing with it down the cut. Nearly blew Ada's tits off.' She said throwing it to John. 'Must have fell out of me pocket.' John said.
'He said he found it on the sideboard off the betting shop with bullets in it.' Polly argued back.To which Franny came forward.'In the shop??' Franny said taking a stand with Polly now.To which John squinted his eyes.'I... I must have been drunk.. ' He admitted.'When are you not drunk.' Polly said getting closer to him.'Look Aunt Pol. I'm sorry..' To which he stuttered and again apologized.
'I swear we will keep this between ourselves, if you swear not to leave guns lying around.' Polly said with a side eye towards Franny.
'Look, I know having four kids without a woman is hard, but my boot is harder. Now come on, we're late.' Polly said taking John's arm.'Oh but i promised to bring Fran home Aunt Pol.' John said looking at her.'It's fine really.' Franny said with a smile.'You guys have a family meeting and I have this.' Franny said with a smirk holding John's gun in her hand. To which he confusedly checked his pockets. 'Must have fell out.' She said with a wink putting it in her bag and turning on her heels waving to Polly and walking towards her house.'I still don't get why you didn't marry Fran when you had the chance.' Polly sighed pushing John in front of her.
Later that evening Franny was walking over to the Shelby family house.In front of her was Ada. Who was skipping a pace and almost running.'Come on Fran, you at least know how to stitch.' 'Why is there always something with these morons.' Franny cursed to herself. She had been drinking at the Garrison with Ada.When Thomas came in ordering a bottle of rum and telling them to get to the house.
They barged into the house and saw Arthur sitting on a chair completely beaten up.Franny threw her coat to John and sat down on a chair in front of him. Polly was already cleaning out wounds with alcohol.When Franny took the liberty of grabbing a needle and threat and started stitching a wound on his arm back together.'John wipe the blood out of his eye.' Franny said to John.'Since when do you give orders?' John said smoking a cigarette.
'I'm a trained nurse please do it.' Franny said looking up at him.'Same goes to me.' Ada said.'Don't make me laugh.' Arthur said.'It hurts me face.' 'You went to one first aid class at church hall.And you got kicked out for giggling.' John said to Ada teasing her.'Not before i learned how to stop someone from chocking.' Ada said searching for clean cloth.'I'm not bloody choking.' Arthur said'You will be when i wrap this cloth round your neck.' Ada said looking him in the eye.To which Franny tried to keep her laughter in.She was an only child.And she loved being around the messy household of the Shelby's.
Thomas came bursting through the doors with a bottle of rum in his hands.'Let me see him.' he said and stood behind Franny.'Here take this.' Thomas gave Arthur the bottle of rum.And took the cloth Ada was preparing and took back the bottle putting the rum on the cloth.'See you could have done that in the mean time.' Franny bit to John who was sticking out his tongue to her.Thomas started cleaning dapping away the blood in Arthur's face with the cloth.
When Thomas was dapping around on his face, Arthur grabbed his arm.'He said Mr. Churchill sent him to Birmingham.National interest he said.Something about a robbery.' Thomas came back up and Polly was looking at him while bandaging Arthurs thumb.'Said he wants us to help him.' Arthur continued.
'We don't help coppers.' John cut in.'He knew all about our war records.Said we're patriots like him.He wants us to be his eyes and ears.I said.' Arthur stopped his rant because of Franny cleaning out the stitch wound with the bottle of rum Thomas had brought with.'I said we'd have a family meeting and take a vote.No one said anything.
'Well... why not? mmm?' Arthur said hissing at Polly who was done bandaging his finger.'We have no truck with Fenians or communists.' Arthur kept going.Thomas was standing still overthinking everything in his head.
'What's wrong with you?' Arthur bit to him.'What the fuck is wrong with him lately.' Arthur spat towards Polly.'If I knew, I'd buy the cure from Compton's chemists.' Polly said looking over at Thomas.Thomas didn't say anything waiting till Franny had stitched him up and took her home to her father.