first day of school

6:30 am - Monday, September 6th, Y/N's phone read as she clicked her phones volume button. The alarm halted and Y/N lay drowsy. Late Summer sky somnolent from what she could see slipping past her blinds. School started at 8:00 am, plenty of time for her to wake up and ready for the dreaded first day of school. Eyes glued to the ceiling, she was exhausted. Though, a certain gratefulness pushed past it. At least Mystic Falls High started a little later than her last, but still. 8:00 am?

She stayed under her warm covers for a moment before finally whipping them away. A surprising cold gust shot at her legs. Maybe Autumn wouldn't wait for late September. She rushed to her closet, putting on the much warmer outfit she planned last night. Something easy, something comfortable.

Her tiredness somehow eased with each step she took downstairs. The morning was quite nice. She'd have time to make herself a nice breakfast, maybe do some tidying. She closed her front door at 7:30, only that tote bag over her arm for that short homeroom class. It was supposed to be just an hour long, Elena told her.

The morning was darker than she was used to. The sky was grey and seemed ready to cry any moment. About fifteen minutes it would take her to reach the school. She saw some people on their morning jog, others piling their kids into their car or other students just like Y/N, on their way to Mystic High. The campus was quite unfilled as she approached the main entrance. She expected to see a few more groups or loners about. Perhaps Mystic Falls' people weren't the kind to be early to the first day of school. The halls were vacant as she walked in. The smell of No.2 pencils, chalkboard dust, old sweat and bleach cleaner filled her nose. The average American high school smell was certainly curious. How did every school she attended smell the same? She had planned on stopping by the office this morning. Hoping to better acquaint herself with Mystic High. The office was empty, not a staff member in sight. She took heavy steps, maybe someone would hear her. But no one did and Y/N took a seat, thinking of waiting only a few minutes.

Five minutes it took for a voice to sound, "oh hello," the polite though bored voice said. Y/N looked behind the desk and saw an old woman walking from what seemed to be a hallway. She was maybe in her mid-sixties, salt and pepper hair was spun into a slick bun and her face gaunt, so clearly with age. Her head seemed large compared to her petite body and she wore a cream wool sweater and a long grey skirt. Winged, grey spectacles rested midway down her nose with a matching beaded chain holding onto its hinges, hanging from her neck.

"Hey, my name is Y/N, Y/L/N, I'm a new student this year and just wanted to get my homeroom number?" Y/N said to, as from what Y/N saw on the name tag on her desk, Ms.Fernsby.

"Sure, dear," Ms.Fernsby said quietly, glancing at Y/N for only a moment before sitting down at the desk behind the reception counter and clacking away on an old computer. "Y/N... Y/L/N... Yep, it's gonna be in room two-zero-eight, dear. Eighth classroom on the second floor," the old woman spoke.

"Okay, thank you," Y/N smiled, and walked out of the office. So not only did Y/N have this simple timetable, but the classrooms were organised clearly? This would be the ultimate senior year. After what should have been a short interaction, Y/N left the office almost ten minutes later, off to her homeroom block in room 208. 7:57 the clock at the front of the classroom read as she walked in. Few students sat scattered around the classroom, some on their phones others waiting for the day to begin. Everyone looked up as she walked in. Quickly she scanned the room, keeping her glance at each person short as she searched for a good seat.

"Ms.Y/L/N?" The homeroom teacher asked before Y/N furthered in the classroom any more.

"Yeah, just Y/N," she said, turning to the teacher.

"I'm Mr. Johnson, I teach AP Biology," he said, reaching out his hand.

"Nice to meet you," she smiled politely, taking his hand for a couple shakes.