christmas unlike it was

She sat across from Elena, this time at the foot of her bed and Elena against her headboard. Her friend looked more pale today. Still beautiful, of course, but Y/N could see that she was tired. Her soft hair was swept up in a bun and she wore her pyjamas still, despite it being just after 12:00. That was certainly not Elena. Always dressed for the day. Her face was bare, eyes read puffy and red.

"What happened?" Y/N asked softly, and at once Elena sniffed, looking away.

Before Y/N's friend could say anything, her mouth turned into a frown, a whimper slipping past her lips.

She began to cry.

Y/N scooted forward, wrapping her arms around Elena, "what's going on?" Y/N asked, voice still soft.

Elena clung to her, "God," she sighed, shaking her head, holding Y/N tight, "Stefan and I..." She cried and Y/N's stomach dropped, "we... We broke up," she said weakly.

Y/N's eyes widened, "Oh shit..." she whispered, tightening her arms around Elena, "I'm sorry," she said and Elena sobbed again. She reached for Elena's upper arms, pulling away, but holding the girl still, "What can I do? Should we get Bonnie and Care over? Have a slumber party?" Y/N asked half-joking, half-not.

"No, no," Elena said quickly, "I don't wanna see—" She started, then looked away.

For a moment Y/N tilted her head, stomach flipping as if she touched something she wasn't meant to, "Sorry, I... I didn't mean to–"

"No, it's fine. I'm sorry," Elena shook her head, "it's not Caroline's fault," Elena sighed, "I'm just..." She shook her head again, looking away and swiping the tears falling down her cheeks. With a sad half-scoff half-chuckle, she said, "I'm pretty sure Stefan's in love with Caroline," Elena chewed at her bottom lip, gaze lingering past her window.

The girls brows furrowed again, eyes watering once more, "and now..." She said, "what's stopping them?" She shrugged, looking back at Y/N.

But Y/N shook her head, "this is very important for you to hear. While it's understandable for you feel that way, you need to remember she's your best friend." Y/N said and Elena sighed, looking down and nodding, "She would never do that you. Never."

"God, you're right," Elena shook her head, "fuck," she sighed, burying her face in her hands, elbows on her knees.

Y/N reaching for Elena's shoulder, comforting and thinking of a plan for the day, "Well," she sighed and Elena looked up, sniffling, "we're staying in today, obviously, " she said, "I'm gonna dip for like half an hour max, get my laptop, some good food, and then you and I will enjoy the day and do absolutely nothing. Sound good?" She asked and Elena smiled weakly and nodded, "what do you want for lunch?" Y/N asked.

。・゚゚・  ・゚゚・。

"Sorry, friend emergency," Y/N sighed, pushing her shoes neatly to the side and sliding her tote off her shoulder. She walked to the back of the kitchen,

"We were considering ordering in!" Her father joked. Y/N raised her brows, smiling tightly at his bad joke. If only they would.

"No worries," Y/N said, washing her hands and stepping for the fridge, "I don't feel like cooking anything too time-consuming so I'm just gonna make what I did when you came, okay?" Y/N asked, not listening for any objections.