damon

Maybe things could change. It would make more sense now than any other time. He stared out his foggy window. He saw the Forbes' walking side-by-side, toward the Lockwood's estate, he knew. William hid his double chin with a thick black cravat, tucked into his frock coat. Linked on his right arm, Margaret, who took this occasion to wear that new crinoline hoop Damon had seen her receive only a week prior. Their children walked a little behind them, the boy in a fitted black suit similar to his fathers, and the girl in a white dress. He wondered what they thought of, and for a moment caught himself wishing he'd be like them; On his way to someone else's funeral.

"Brother," a kind, soft voice called behind him. He turned and saw his boy of a brother, only twelve, standing in the doorway to his bedroom.

"Yes?" He asked, voice drier than he expected.

In his small hand Stefan held up his bowtie, "I can't tie it." he said quietly. Damon smiled softly and beckoned for Stefan to come in.

He looked down, taking the fabric from Stefan's small hand and pulling it under the boy's collar. "How are you?" Damon asked, taking his time unlike he would usually. Giving both Stefan and himself this calm before the storm.

Stefan shrugged. "Father said," he spoke quietly. The boy cleared his throat, "father said I'm not to cry," he said louder, but Damon heard the shakiness in his tone and found himself rolling his eyes before he could stop himself.

"Cry if you feel like it," Damon shook his head,

"Father says I must learn to be a man." Stefan said,

"But you are a boy, " Damon raised his brows once as he twisted the small tie.

"I want to be a man," Stefan challenged weakly, voice trembling as he fought nothing.

But Damon sighed, pulling the bow tie in place and resting his hands atop his little brother's shoulders. "Our father is incapable of human emotion. You are ten and you may cry if you feel like it." He said again, eyes locked onto Stefan's. "And, brother," He started, "if you are to be a real man, you would not fear another's remarks over a few drops of salt from your eye. Real men know it is okay to mourn the death of their mother," He said quietly, throating tightening around his words, "because they know they only get one," he whispered, brows pulling together. Stefan's eyes watered quickly, his lips pulling into a frown.

And Damon drew him near, holding Stefan's head to his chest as tears stung his own eyes.

。・゚゚・  ・゚゚・。

"You looked perfectly radiant this eve, Ms.Pierce," Damon said almost nervously, narrowing his eyes slightly as he glanced down at the same dress he saw her in hours ago.

Her mouth twitched into a small smile for a moment before she sucked in a quiet breath. "Would you like to come in?" She asked,

And at once he'd made up his answer. "Certainly," he nodded and she opened the door wider for him.

"Do take your time, Mr.Salvatore, it's not as though I'd dislike to be seen with a bachelor," Katherine smirked as Damon took his time walking into what she called her home this past week. He chuckled and she closed the door behind him with a smile, "might I request your help with something?" She asked, voice quieter than before, but eyes just as tempting.