dearly despised

A knock came to the guest door and at once she sighed. 

Y/N had been staying at the Salvatore's for a few days now. School started in a week and apparently Damon had met with Mary-Elizabeth. After what Y/N was told an incredibly short conversation, she no longer needed to worry about upcoming shifts. Not until she was ready.

"Come in." She said, looking up from the cartoon that played on her laptop. 

Stefan opened the door, leaning against its frame, "We, uh..." He started, looking to the side then back at her, "We have a guest. We think you should meet her." He nodded. Y/N took a deep breath, at first feeling the great tug of dislike at just the thought of leaving her bed. But still the girl pushed the covers from her legs and stood from her bed, walking to the man without challenge. 

Y/N wished they'd mentioned this guest before. Given her time to prepare or anything. 

He stepped out of her given room once again and she closed the door behind her. Walking down the long hall, the opposite end from the brother's bedrooms, she linked their arms feeling the comfort  of someone she could trust. Finally, after too long, they reached the stairs and turned left. On the main floor hall, she glanced at that main living room, a pang of anxiety clear at the little she could see of it. But they turned left instead, away from the room and that anxiety settled surely. Finally, he led them right, walking into the smaller living room Y/N rarely saw.

"I've plenty of contacts in need of my presence this week." Y/N heard Elena say, "I mean to see you two, or... Three this once," she said as Y/N and Stefan walked into the smaller room. Y/N saw Damon sitting on the smaller loveseat facing Elena, no doubt, who sat on the nearest couch and facing away from her and Stefan. Damon looked up, past Elena.

"Ple—" Elena started again, cutting herself off as she noticed Damon's divided attention. The girl turned as well, looking behind her at Y/N. 

And Y/N met those chocolate eyes like she had so many times before but for some reason this time they looked different. No longer had they a closeness, indeed the opposite. A certain distance was held within these eyes, an unfeeling that Y/N could label none another than terrifying. Her brows furrowed, feeling a daunt tangle in her stomach.

"Y/N, I presume." The woman–-not Elena-–spoke with poise. Her eyes narrowed guilefully, almost glaring through Y/N. The girl's brows pulled together at this eerie look alike, but Stefan's light pull at her arm took her from any panic. 

They furthered into the room and she sat next to Damon. Y/N's eyes never left the woman. Almost everything about this person was identical to Elena. Besides those subtle highlights she added to her hair, the makeup Elena would never use and an outfit Elena would never wear. A smokey eyeshadow that lengthened her eye and a dark lip to match. Her hair was curled beautifully, flowing past her shoulder and reaching just under her bust. Chanel No.5 filled the air around her and she wore a dress no longer than mid-thigh. It was grey, a short turtleneck. The fabric hugged her fit physique and on her feet, expensive pumps that Y/N had seen everywhere online. The woman looked at Y/N with amusement, as if she wanted Y/N to mistake her for Elena. Though, once Y/N didn't say anything, Katherine sighed and looked to the men, "Has she been apprised about this?" She said, gesturing toward her face, then sipping a thick red wine from her glass. Y/N's narrowed slightly, curious at this person. Her voice, her disposition. It was all so enchanting...

"She hasn't." Stefan said simply, looking at the woman with a rather bored expression as he sipped his own beverage of dark amber.

"Really?" She asked with what sounded like genuine surprise, "Not even from you, Damon?" She asked, narrowing her eyes at the older brother and taking another sip of her drink.